Englander 25-PDV burn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEFONZFD26

Nov 9, 2007
NEW JOISEY
ive had the stove for a year now with no problems, so far this year ive used the stove 10 times, my house is 1500 sq ft, and the stove is in a finished basement, i usually burn the stove at 1 and fan at 4 the down stairs heats up to 88-90 degrees the middle floor around 70 and the upstairs is usually 74. My question is i fill the hopper around 10pm and by 630 am there is very little left in the hopper that seems to be burning very quickly is it not? and suggestions first off?....my second question is i am starting to hear like a ping every once in awhile and it seems that the pellets for a short amount of time stop falling into the burn pot and the flame seems to go out then magically more pellets begin to fall and the flame continues, any ideas?...Thanks for the help in advance

Holy cow!

60 lbs in 10 hours???? I would imagine that pinging is your stove readying for launch! I'd say there's some kind of issue with the stove, especially if you are getting that kind of rate on a #1 feed setting. What are the settings for your bottom 3 buttons?

Typical is 6-4-1.

My 25 PDV (same as SHP-25) on a 9 feed and 9 blower MIGHT go through that much in 10 hours. But normally I can expect a bag and a half over 24 hours on the highest feed rate.

Can you get us a little more info? What brand of pellets and how big are they?

what are the settings on the stove?

I can't imagine that if you're using that many pellets that the flame would ever go out.

im not sure what the 3 settings are at, how can i find that out, also im using pellets from walmart, forget the name of the brand ill find out, im heading home now and should have that info in about 20 min..thanks for the response

You can adjust the feed rate down (some people run it as low as 2 or 3. You may need to adjust the air rate as well. Don't play with the air on temp, it needs to stay at 1.

I'm running at 4-6-1 right now. Don't make drastic changes without monitoring the stove for 20min or so.

You could also check out this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30762/

There is a small discussion going about these settings as well.

Good luck!

im gonna try 5-4-1 i think to see if it makes a difference....how do i lower it?...thanks again for the help...also can i adjust it while the stove is running or does it have to be off?

THE FONZ said:
im gonna try 5-4-1 i think to see if it makes a difference....how do i lower it?...thanks again for the help...also can i adjust it while the stove is running or does it have to be off?

You need the stove running. Push the button on the bottom, and the current value will light up. push the up and down arrow to change it. After 5 seconds the value will go out and it's stored.

Pretty easy.

I have been lurking about on this forum trying to "edumicate" myself on my recent purchase - ESW Timber Ridge 55-SHP10. The LFF & LFA buttons do respond well but the burn characteristics of the fire at the low settings go from decent burning fire (for about 2 minutes) to very low to no fire (for about 1 minute). This happens at settings 5-6-1. If I lower the LFA to the factory preset of 4, it gets worse and I have to "up" the LFF to compensate. At a unit setting of 1 (lowest burn) I only get 18 hours out of a 40#bag of pellets; I really hoped for more than that. I am burning (green label) Lignetics pellets and am happy with them. Is there something I might be missing? Other than this, I love the unit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

LI Rainman you are running awfully low for an 18 hour burn , check the slide plate in the hopper , open it up a bit if you can then adjust down with the LFF and see if this steadys out your fire

THE FONZ you are running high , you would want to drop the LFF to 3 or 4 leave the LBA where it is for now and see what that does for your fuel consumption

BTW im thinking fonzie is running 40 lbs in the timeframe not 60. if he was hitting 60 lbs in that timeframe it would overtemp and slow itself down or shut down with an E-3 high limit error code.

stoveguy2esw said:
LI Rainman you are running awfully low for an 18 hour burn , check the slide plate in the hopper , open it up a bit if you can then adjust down with the LFF and see if this steadys out your fire

THE FONZ you are running high , you would want to drop the LFF to 3 or 4 leave the LBA where it is for now and see what that does for your fuel consumption

BTW im thinking fonzie is running 40 lbs in the timeframe not 60. if he was hitting 60 lbs in that timeframe it would overtemp and slow itself down or shut down with an E-3 high limit error code.

Any recomendations on settings for us up here in northern Maine? Still not sure I understand what the settings are and how they effect my stove.

Thanks, Mike. I originally operated the stove with the slide plate as received - fully open. Tried adjusting settings. After reading a few threads in this forum, I closed the plate all the way as far as it would go figuring that by throttling the flow, I would be able to better control it. Not quite what I expected. I will open it up a bit once I get through the current hopper load and try adjusting again. I just don't see how some fine tuning would get me another 6 hours of low burn time, though. Is the fairly significant high flame to low flame difference across a full cycle common on the low burn levels? In any event, I'll keep you posted. Thanks, again.

LI Rainman said:
Thanks, Mike. I originally operated the stove with the slide plate as received - fully open. Tried adjusting settings. After reading a few threads in this forum, I closed the plate all the way as far as it would go figuring that by throttling the flow, I would be able to better control it. Not quite what I expected. I will open it up a bit once I get through the current hopper load and try adjusting again. I just don't see how some fine tuning would get me another 6 hours of low burn time, though. Is the fairly significant high flame to low flame difference across a full cycle common on the low burn levels? In any event, I'll keep you posted. Thanks, again.

is it feeding for several minutes fairly steady then dropping to coals before feeding steady again? or is it a fast cycle up and down?

Just on settings 1, 2 & to a lesser degree 3. When running on 1 or 2, I have been adjusting the LFA & LFF so on the "coal" cycle I get it to the point where the flame just about goes out (but doesn't) then gets enough feed to start the uphill climb to the healthy burn cycle. When the pellets are fed into coals, they smoke a little so that's got to be a dirty burn and less efficient, right? While on the #3 setting, it cycles between a healthy burn (2+ minutes) to a lower burn (<1minute) but no "coals." On higher settings any difference is negligible. Thanks for the help, BTW.

LI Rainman said:
September 2006; bought last January; hooked up and have been running (as needed) since August.

looking it seems from your avatar you are a basement install, longer intake looks like , thats ok though just noting. how far down have you tried to back the LFF and LBA together?

The lowest I can go on burn setting 1 without "coals" is 5 on the LFF. The LBA (sorry, was using wrong acronym before) I can vary at any level without much difference. If I go to an LFF of 4, I get coals. I recall this was also the case when I had the hopper plate as received.

Status
Not open for further replies.