Englander 25-PDV - Drop Chute Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The Englander 25-PDV ran for a few hours and then the fire died out. The bottom auger was starving for pellets so it looked like the Top Auger was not delivering the pellets to the bottom auger. Now I know that if the door adjar vacuum switch has a problem it will stop the top auger but that did seem ok. Also the hopper lid switch is connected to the top auger but that was ok.

So, I just wiggled the top auger motor and it felt stuck and then freed up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Holton is always right on and this is what he told me.

sounds like a drop chute jam, working the motor will most times clear this up , if not pull the LOWER auger to gain access to the chute work in and up at about a 45 degree angle to insert a screwdriver or similar up the drop chute to dislodge any long pelets which may have "stovepiped' in the chute
mike holton
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I removed the top auger and inspect the chute. It did not look too bad but I brushed it out and sprayed plenty of graphite spray in there.Then I tried turning the auger by hand with the auger motor disconnected.The auger turned almost all the way and then hit a snag!!So I noted where the snag was on the outside and pulled the auger and found it was on the Knit line where the casting mold comes apart. Also there was some pitting on the back part of outer edge all the way from the tip to the bearing.I brought the auger over to the bench grinder and grinded all the of the knit line down smooth and then put the wie brush wheel to smooth it further.Put the auger back in and aligned it. Put 3-1 oil on the auger motors and the stove has been running real smooth ever since!!See pics

Attachments

• IMG02247-20120327-1617.jpg
    IMG02247-20120327-1617.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG02249-20120327-1618.jpg
    IMG02249-20120327-1618.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 323
Status
Not open for further replies.