Englander 25-PDV HEat Output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I am burning on of my leftover bags of pellets of Pennitons

bottom settings at 5-4-1 upped the level from D to C top 2 settings are on 4-5

I am only getting 160-170 output is this close to normal Stove is a 2008 model

Chris04626 said:

I'm no expert but that sounds low to me, is it possible the pellets are a bit funky (being last years)? Were the burning hotter last year?

Chris04626 said:

Chris, I think it sounds about right. Keep in mind it`s not a large stove and Englander doesn`t rate the BTU`s too high, maybe 35K?
Right now I`m in heat mode d and at those same settings I`m getting 150+ after an extended burn. (2 hrs+)
And IMO the PDVC is a bit slow to get hot . I`m using a new oven thermometer placed over the the 3rd air hole on the left (hottest side) .
I found the pellets , (brand, moisture, etc)from one year to the next inconsistant and can make a big difference in the temps. I`d also double check the accuracy of your thermometer.

thanks i tested the temp within about a half hour, but i can tell ya swithing from d to c was like night and day comparing the feel of the heat coming out. I could hardly feel it on D

Yeah you have to give it some time to stabilize. Once the entire stove gets hot it throws even more heat out the front.
As I said earlier the left side heats up first then the heat spreads over to the right and eventually the whole stove gets pretty hot and you`ll feel a lot more heat coming out. I do find it to be on the slow side but thats probably cause there is a lot of mass to this small stove, more than my Harman P-38.

Chris04626 said:
Wondering why the left side felt alot hotter then the right

Thanks for the Info
look in stove at the exhaust port on top. left side of opening is closest to the exhaust blower. i have a plate blocking the left side of the exhaust port which ends at the center of the stove

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Chris04626 said:

Thanks for the Info
look in stove at the exhaust port on top. left side of opening is closest to the exhaust blower. i have a plate blocking the left side of the exhaust port which ends at the center of the stove

Pook, that blocking plate has to restrict the exhaust motor not to mention an increase in wattage draw , probably end up eventually toasting the motor.

Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Chris04626 said:

Thanks for the Info

Pook, that blocking plate has to restrict the exhaust motor not to mention an increase in wattage draw , probably end up eventually toasting the motor.
naw, cant hear any diff or strain + original motor was different type & lower wattage . configuration of the impeller dont fill the housing anyway. got the burnpot closed in & havent cleaned it 4awhile=looks ashy but i think combustion air is excessive anyway, seems to burn fine.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Chris04626 said:

Thanks for the Info
read the stovetop temps this morning & both l&r sides read160*f. room blower was turned off to get temps this high, but plate evens out the temp

~*~vvv~*~ said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Chris04626 said:

Thanks for the Info
read the stovetop temps this morning & both l&r sides read160*f. room blower was turned off to get temps this high, but plate evens out the temp

As I wrote earlier the steel mass of the PDVC takes quite a while to heat up compared to my lighter Harman P-38.
But after an hour or more both sides pump out comparable hot air. I don`t think this is unique to Englander stoves and probably typical in design for some other stoves too where one side heats hotter and quicker than others.
Yesterday I was getting 180 at heat range #5-#6 in heat mode D.
Of course the outside temps were only in the low 50`s.

Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Chris04626 said:

Thanks for the Info

As I wrote earlier the steel mass of the PDVC takes quite a while to heat up compared to my lighter Harman P-38.
But after an hour or more both sides pump out comparable hot air. I don`t think this is unique to Englander stoves and probably typical in design for some other stoves too where one side heats hotter and quicker than others.
Yesterday I was getting 180 at heat range #5-#6 in heat mode D.
Of course the outside temps were only in the low 50`s.
look how the fire pulls to the right with the plate baffling

Attachments

• 100_2519 (Small).jpg
    100_2519 (Small).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 398
What`s the advantage of pulling the flame to the right?
The fire is going to put out just so much heat regardless of what side heats first.

Gio said:
What`s the advantage of pulling the flame to the right?
The fire is going to put out just so much heat regardless of what side heats first.
the smoke has a longer distance to travel than if it went directly to the exhaust blower

Here`s my straight flame on my pdvc notice it don`t pull to either right or left.
Stove was pushing out 180 air temp set on #3 , heat mode c after 30 minutes from starting.
And YES, I always run the blower on 9. My feeling it extracts the heat off the exchanger more efficiently causing a quicker heat transfer. Of course on lower speeds the heated air would be even hotter.

http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/129209057.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.