Englander 25-PDV - Making a squealing noise from blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I called englander support and they told me that the exhaust pipe needs to be cleaned as the first step, noise seems to be coming from the left back side where the exhaust begins.....so it sounds like that blower.
He told me I need to remove that pipe and clean it with vacuum, not the pipes outside but the couple inside.

Those sections (one is 45 degree) have tape in the joints, so I went to home depot and asked for this type of tape and the guy said they don't carry it and I need to use for very hot temperature.

Do I need to first remove pipes in the outside? I don't/can't move the stove to the front to have room and move the pipe.

What options I have???

Don't know which 25-PDV you have but:

How long has it been since you cleaned your vent pipe? Could be plugged with fly-ash blocking the combustion blower air flow. If you have a problem disconnecting your vent pipe inside the house try cleaning the vent using a leaf-blower (on suction) on the outside of the house. That should clean out all the vent pipe and around the area inside the stove where the vent pipe connects to the stove. You may need to make an adapter to fit the leaf blower on the vent pipe; others have used PVC pipe. Mine fits right on the vent pipe. Notice the black grass. The grass likes the ash. You may have already seen leafblower posts but if not do a search on leaf blower; there are many posts.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/eewing_01/Leafblowervent2.jpg

Does the noise change when you change the ROOM BLOWER SPEED? That will tell you if it is the room blower or the convection (exhaust) blower.

The manual I read says:
Combustion Blower
To clean or replace the combustion (exhaust) blower (Part #PU-076002B) the power leads and the
pellet vent pipe must be disconnected. Next, remove the screws that hold the blower to the steel
exhaust tube and slide the blower from the stove. The blower impeller, blower tube and steel blower
exhaust tube on the unit should be brushed and vacuumed. When cleaning or replacing the blower a
new gasket (Part # PU-CBG) should be added between the blower flange and the steel exhaust tube.

Have you cleaned the Combustion Blower? Are it's mounting screws tight? Is it's gasket in good shape? Are the holes in your burn pot plugged with fly-ash or carbon? You can poke thru the BP-holes with a piece of clothes hanger wire?

Your owners manual should tell you how to remove these blowers. Check them for noise and free movement by spinning them by hand.
The troubleshooting section of the manual says:
Squeaking noise
1. Build up in tube 1. Remove auger and clean
2. Improper auger alignment 2. Re-align auger
3. Blower noise 3. Remove and oil blower

Thanks, I have the 25-PDV.

Can I use a conventional shop vacuum from outside instead and just push the hose all the way in ?

removed pipe rise from outside and there's a lot of ash buildup, am trying now my shop vac and let's see what happens...

geek said:
removed pipe rise from outside and there's a lot of ash buildup, am trying now my shop vac and let's see what happens...

Lot of ash buildup? You may have found your problem.

From what I have read on the forums, Shop Vacs don't move nearly as much air volume as a good leaf-blower. You need a large cubic feet of air (CFM) movement to dislodge and carry the ash completely out of the vent pipe. Don't think a shop vac will do as well as a leafblower. Especially if you are starting with a large build-up of ash. There are pictures posted in some of the leafblower threads and you can see a
terrific amount of fly-ash and air-flow coming out the vent pipes.

I got my 12amp Toro Super from Lowes for $80. But there are a lot of cheaper ones around. My long 4" vent pipe needs quite a bit of suction.

THANKS.

I removed the pipe outside then inserted the flex hose of my shop vac (that I use to vac inside the burn pot) and then put a plastic bag very tight around the outer edge to create suction.....I think this worked well because when doing this I felt and heard the suction inside the stove above the burn pot, lot of crap came out.

May not be perfect-shiny cleaned but I think it is much better. Exhaust fan whining noise went away....

well, after around 30 minutes of burning the fan whining comes back and goes......I made sure screws are secured....if I sort of "push" the little motor on the side of the fan the noise reduces a lot or it gets gone......

now the noise is not noticeable......what the heck.!!

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress.

the noise almost went away but I still hear a bit of noise coming from that motor, if I push it a bit then the noise disappears (if I push the little electric motor in front...).

The cleaning you did probably was overdue, but the blowers
on pellet stoves need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned
at least once a year to get max life from them.
It's not difficult, just dirty and time consuming. I'd get some
help to pull the stove out enough so that you have access
to remove the blower. Short of doing that, you can always
find/pay someone to do it.

yeah, I would need to pull the stove out a bit to get that blower exposed and maybe removed......task for summer..!!!

The troubleshooting section of the owners manual says:
Squeaking noise
1. Build up in tube 1. Remove auger and clean
2. Improper auger alignment 2. Re-align auger
3. Blower noise 3. Remove and oil blower

If the noise stopped when you pushed on the blower maybe the blades are rubbing on some build-up or the stove case

Status
Not open for further replies.