Englander 25-PDV - Serious overheat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kofkorn

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2008
Central MA
Hi All,

Well for the first time in 7 seasons of running this stove, I ran into a pretty significant issue. I was reading in front of our stove this afternoon with it running on 7-9 for about an hour and a half. I noticed that the room blower had turned off. It didn't make any unusal noises, just shut off. The meat thermometer that I placed in the blower holes was reading about 300, which I've never seen before. It usually tops out around 225 or so. I figured that the blower motor probably overheated, and was thermally limited. I expected the stove to go into overheat mode and shut down the pellets, but to be safe, I lowered the heat to 5. Well over the next two minutes, the pellets didn't stop feeding, and the temp on the meat thermometer went past it's limit at 500, probably close to 650. I pushed the off button, and the flame slowly died down. After about 10 min, the room blower came back on and the stove cooled down.

I've had a few times when the stove has gone into an over fire situation and limited the pellets, but I haven't had a situation where the blower got so hot that it shut down. I'm especially concerned that the overheat mode didn't shut down the pellet feed.

I put the stove in diagnostic mode, and I appear to be getting a reading on the thermocouple (3-9 while cooling down) I'm suspecting that the thermocouple may be giving a bad reading. I'm planning on breaking down the room blower and cleaning it out again, but the room blower shouln't have had any effect on the overheat limit.

Any other items I should be looking at??

Sounds like the room blower overheated, shut down, and that allowed the stove to overheat. Have you ever cleaned out the windings on the room blower motor?

Just did that now. There was some dust in there. Could have been the issue. I'm more concerned that the pellets didn't shut down. I guess I thought it would shut down long before getting to 650 inside the stove box.

For what its worth, check your Air On Temp button (third of the bottom 3). Make sure its still on 1. Mine started to do what yours did once, but I happened to catch it. When I checked, my AOT was at 3, not sure how it got there. Set it back to 1 and haven't had a problem since.

Eric

Yep, Still at 1. It's running now, and seems to be working ok.

Is there any way to test the temp probe on the back of the fire box? Use a heat gun???

If the area inside the air paths has a good ash build up where the heat sensor is, it may not see the temp as well as it should or the sensor may be damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.