Englander 25-PDV slow ignition problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roundsound

Dec 8, 2011
New Mexico
Purchased this Englander 25-PVD at Lowe's Home Improvement a few days ago.

The problem is slow ignition. The auger starts feeding pellets immediately and smothers the pellets that are trying to light on the bottom of the firepot. When I remove the pellets and restart the stove, it will light fairly quickly.

I believe that the auger is feeding too fast or that the igniter is misplaced or under voltage.

Installation history; when I installed the stove it wouldn't start. I quickly figured out the that the blower wasn't turning. I removed the blower, spun it a few times by hand, reinstalled and it was fine.

Extenuating circumstances; I live at 8000' elevation in a large geodesic dome. There is a tremendous amount of air inside this house.

My history with pellet stoves; I've had 4 Quadra Fires over the last 20 years (I have a big house) and spent plenty of time working on them. I am not a newbee.

Thanks for the help.

Well that is a do it yourself stove.

If you can find the igniter replacement section in the various documents that come with it you should find out about the the mechanism that holds the igniter in place. There is also the need to keep the area around that igniter clean and to have plenty of air flow.

It is the air flow that does the lighting.

roundsound said:

The problem is slow ignition. The auger starts feeding pellets immediately and smothers the pellets that are trying to light on the bottom of the firepot. When I remove the pellets and restart the stove, it will light fairly quickly.

I believe that the auger is feeding too fast or that the igniter is misplaced or under voltage.

Installation history; when I installed the stove it wouldn't start. I quickly figured out the that the blower wasn't turning. I removed the blower, spun it a few times by hand, reinstalled and it was fine.

Extenuating circumstances; I live at 8000' elevation in a large geodesic dome. There is a tremendous amount of air inside this house.

My history with pellet stoves; I've had 4 Quadra Fires over the last 20 years (I have a big house) and spent plenty of time working on them. I am not a newbee.

Thanks for the help.

i can fix it ., PM me a phone number and i'll cal you and tell ya how to correct this

stoveguy2esw said:
roundsound said:

Thanks for the help.

i can fix it ., PM me a phone number and i'll cal you and tell ya how to correct this
That did the trick, thanks. I never would have figured that out for myself.

BTW, I live by Cloudcroft, just 70 miles from Biggs.

Well, are you going to keep the fix a secret or what?

Gio said:

Likely Mike told the OP how to access the igniter and to pull it back further in the tube it is in and to remove any slag in the holes in the igniter tube and possibly to remove a plug that is sometimes in one of the holes.

Just a WAG.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Gio said:

Likely Mike told the OP how to access the igniter and to pull it back further in the tube it is in and to remove any slag in the holes in the igniter tube and possibly to remove a plug that is sometimes in one of the holes.

Just a WAG.

yep! ;-P more air in + more air out = faster lighting. he's at altitude too so already "behind the curve" with the thin air.

stoveguy2esw said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Gio said:

Just a WAG.

yep! ;-P more air in + more air out = faster lighting. he's at altitude too so already "behind the curve" with the thin air.

That will also cause issues with venting, I'm glad I don't have that to deal with, it can be bad enough when you are close to sea level.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Gio said:

Just a WAG.
BINGO Smokey. It was the removal of the air plug above the igniter and pulling the igniter back a smidge. It was nothing about the exhaust vent or air intake. The problem was all about elevation and thin air.

Mike was great and thanks, Smokey, for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.