Englander 25 pdv, which wear plate is correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

packerfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
frozen tundra
I recently picked up a new wear plate for my stove because my old one just didn't seem to fit right. My old one seemed to have an air gap towards the front of the stove on the right side because it wouldn't sit flat in the burn pot (first photo)

Seeing as that my stove didn't seem to be burning perfectly(unburned pellets) I thought that maybe too much air was passing through the gap rather than going through the holes in the plate, causing my burning problem. I thought that maybe somehow the heat had warped it, or it was bent slightly wrong at the factory, so I got a new plate.

Well, I got the new plate, and it doesn't seem to lay right in my stove. It pretty much sits in there just like the old one did. I cleaned the shelf that the wear plate lays on to perfection to make sure there was no ash/clinkers in the way. I also checked for possible raised areas from manufacturing that may have caused this problem, but the area the plate lays on seems pretty smooth to me. It seems that maybe my burn pot was not built perfectly sqare causing my wear plates (new and old one) to rock back and forth rather than lay down flat.

Another thing I noticed when I got my new wear plate was that it isn't made like the old one. The hole patterns are different. Does anyone know which plate has the correct hole pattern? Obviously, one of these is right, and the other is wrong. Any help from other 25 pdv owners would be helpful, Thanks

Attachments

• weartilt.JPG
    weartilt.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 603
  • plateold.JPG
    plateold.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 596
  • platenew.JPG
    platenew.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 648
I know what the problem is, and it isn't the wear plate. When did you purchase the stove? If you can, contact me directly at the factory and I will get you in touch with one our technical support representatives. My extension at the plant is 138.

packerfan said:
hmm. still no replies, anybody know if the guys from ESW still come around this site? I was hoping that since I haven't had any help yet on this, that Mike or Corie might chime in here.

sorry i took so long , been on a hiatus. anyway need some info , how old is the unit? did the incomplete burn start recently or did it do so from the start (shouldnt have but im asking anyway) the gap in the wear plate is not going to cause half burned pellets , but could cause clinker buildup and can be corected easily. have you checked the flue lately? including the horizontal part runing away from the stove?by the way , your origional wear plate is correct , call my shop for a replacement for the new one (will be warranteed) as its not correct.

I got the unit last spring. It has a 9/06 manufacture date on it.

I just did a full clean out of the flue 2 weeks ago (2nd time this season)
There was some ash in the horizontal area that was cleaned out.

I seemed to be getting an incomplete burn from the start. If I ran the stove overnight, the pellets would fill up the burn pot to the point where they were flowing out the front. I have turned the low fuel feed down to 3, and run the low burn air between 7-9, but this hasn't really seemed to help too much. I've tried different pellets, but it didn't seem to matter a whole lot.

How do I correct the gap on my wear plate? Am I better off calling? if so what time?

definately call, my techs can get more done with you from the office than i can at home. number is 800-245-6489 office hours are 8-5 eastern time. keep me informed and dont worry , we will get you straight.

packerfan said:
Thanks, sounds good to me. Anybody there to talk to on the weekend?

no , we have such a reduction in phone traffic in the "warmer" seasons that its hard to justify keeping the office staffed on the weekends , we do so in the winter but its ended for the season as of a few weeks ago. if you are in desperate straits though , pm me a daytime phone number and i might be able to give you a buzz from home. no biggie , but you will still need to contact my office about the wear plate during office hours. if need be i can likely get you running though and its not a big deal for me to call from home i do it from time to time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.