Englander 25 PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanBurn

Jan 3, 2015
BC Canada
Hi all.
I have had my stove for 3 years now and today is the first on many uninterrupted starts. I hope. Lol
Ever since new my stove has not started everytime. I was talking to the warranty guy in Canada and he put it down to a faulty igniter. They shipped me a new one and in the mean time he said just go to Canadian Tire a get a bottle of starter fluid. Said it way faster to get stove going. Any way that's the way I have been running it till now. At the need of season last year the stove was burning low and dirty so I have been on vacation for the past week so decided to tear it down and spring ( fall ) clean it. I had all the gaskets on hane for the rebuild. I also put the new igniter in at this time, fired her up and no start. Shoot now what. Searched a few chat blogs and came across a guy with same problem. Turns out that there is a hole not seen inside the igniter tube that supplies the hot air to fire the pellets. I took the igniter out again and saw the hole and it looked fine, but this other guy was told to take out the plug on outside of tube and push a nail or drill through it. Well mine was plugged solid. Put it back together and what do you know. It fired right up..
It looked like rust on the end of nail not soot. Can anyone tell me what would cause this hole to plug,, could it have been like that from the factory. ????
LIN

My guess would be rust. So was the original ignitor actually dead?

Where is the stove located? How high is humidity in the summer in your area? I normally put desiccant inside the stove during the summer to try and keep rust to a minimum.

Rust may have accumulated while the stove was stored on its way to the dealer, or at the dealer's.

Yes after looking at the nail I used to clean it out I think it was rust..
It has not miss fired since. Happy happy happy.
Well just an update on this. I have gone through 10 bags of pellets now will a whole lot of stops and starts and not one miss fire to date.. Surprising how a bit of crap in a little hole can ruin a start up.
Lin

Glad to hear that was the cure. Amazing that a simple thing created such chaos.

Reactions: jerl77
Status
Not open for further replies.