Englander 25 pdvc-55 2008 gone crazy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wil05us

Jan 16, 2017
Maine
I bought my pellet new in 2008 and have used it very little. I noticed some things over the years: Tended to run faster than other Englander stoves, but it did not seemingly respond to changes on the circuit board. I always got a little uncomfortable but I didn't know why...

Several weeks ago it went wild and overheated and would not shut down. Had to unplug it and open the house up and blow the smoke out with fans....
Thank goodness a friend was there to assist.

This is what I found. The yellow wire was laying across the edge of the terminal for the bottom auger. It was blackened and arcing through...thus getting the juice from the bottom auger to run the top auger ALL the time.
The pellets were half burned and must have been dumping ...

The augers and motors are all original...never had any work done on it. The black and yellow wires had been routed from the factory and wound around the air intake pipe to take up the slack. This caused the yellow wire to touch the terminal where the purple wire plugs into the bottom auger. The wires are blackened where this has chronically happened over time.

This event caused the circuit board to short out at the yellow wire. The motor for the top auger is fine. I just installed a new circuit board and re-routed the wires so they are now safe. And the stove now runs like it should have when I bought it. And, I no longer have that nagging feeling about the stove...

So, to others who have this model pellet, Please check the routing of your wires in the stove. Wire insulation can melt through.

If the top auger seems to be running fast, make sure the wires never rest near any other terminal. I was lucky.

I now understand why there was something nagging me about that stove...

Will~

I bought my pellet new in 2008 and have used it very little. I noticed some things over the years: Tended to run faster than other Englander stoves, but it did not seemingly respond to changes on the circuit board. I always got a little uncomfortable but I didn't know why...

Several weeks ago it went wild and overheated and would not shut down. Had to unplug it and open the house up and blow the smoke out with fans....
Thank goodness a friend was there to assist.

This is what I found. The yellow wire was laying across the edge of the terminal for the bottom auger. It was blackened and arcing through...thus getting the juice from the bottom auger to run the top auger ALL the time.
The pellets were half burned and must have been dumping ...

The augers and motors are all original...never had any work done on it. The black and yellow wires had been routed from the factory and wound around the air intake pipe to take up the slack. This caused the yellow wire to touch the terminal where the purple wire plugs into the bottom auger. The wires are blackened where this has chronically happened over time.

This event caused the circuit board to short out at the yellow wire. The motor for the top auger is fine. I just installed a new circuit board and re-routed the wires so they are now safe. And the stove now runs like it should have when I bought it. And, I no longer have that nagging feeling about the stove...

So, to others who have this model pellet, Please check the routing of your wires in the stove. Wire insulation can melt through.

If the top auger seems to be running fast, make sure the wires never rest near any other terminal. I was lucky.

I now understand why there was something nagging me about that stove...

Will~

Handy advice, know now to keep an eye on mine.

Englander could sure use a lesson in wiring that's for sure, or maybe hire a good quality assurance inspector.

Both my stove and a friend's 25-PDVC were just like yours, a rats nest at best. I used several zip-ties after re-routing the wires where they should have been in the first place.