Englander 25-PDVC/55SHP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SJones

Dec 21, 2007
upstate NY
Hey all,

Have had the unit now 2 weeks and all was going great,couldnt be happier,untill 2 nights ago i have developed a howl chattery type sound.Ive narrowed it to the convection motor ,i believe,due to when u turn the blower up the noice gets worse.Ive checked it out and it seems to be tight and secured well,so im wondering if shes getting ready to die on me.It doest seem to blow the heat out like it was so im wondering if the motor is starting to drag.Anyone else experience this,is it time to find a new blower.I bought the unit new like i said 2 weeks ago,might have 15 bags threw it.Hardly ever run the heat setting off from 1 and the blower off 2.I realize electric motors cna last a long time or a short time but ide think 2 weeks is a little to short of time.The unit is shutting down now ,when it cools off im gonna see if theres any play in it or if its dirty,im hopeing the fins on the squirrel cage have gotten a little dusty and thats creating the noise,i have seen this happen before on oil furnaces.Any ideas,comments,suggestions are appreciated.

SJones -

Sorry to hear of your trouble! I think you're on the right track - shut 'er down and pull the convection blower, clean out the fan blades, check and make sure everything looks good... But one thing you might want to do, after you pull the motor, is to call Englander's tech support line while you have the motor out. They can make sure that you've "Checked Everything", and walk you through re-installation, and then do a live test. If the motor is deemd bad, they should send you a new one free, as you should be under warranty if you just bought the unit 2 weeks ago.

I may be off in how to go about this, but that's how I'd play it if it were me.

Keep us posted on how it shakes out.

update.
Ok,i had a thought as i was looking and i hope it was it,i reached in after it shut down and put a socket on the mounting screws and the 2 bottom werent lose but not nearly as tight as the top ones were.So snugged them down and fired it back up and atm i dont hear the howel.Im hopeing they where lose enough to let some air escape creating the noise,I didnt pull the blower at this time due to its like 5 degrees outside.It suppose to get in the 30s tomarrow so if the noise returns ill pull the unit tomarrow.

OOh,i almost forgot,is this gasket reusable?So if i do have to pull it and it is just dirty will i be able to remount and fire up again

I saw on another thread that Mike at Englander said something to the effect of the gasket is reusable on the room blower... Something along the lines no actual fire/sparks should be coming through, only warm air off the box, so if there's a little leak, it's not a problem. I'd say if you pull the motor and the gasket isn't trashed or damaged, reuse it.

Well its been running a while now fine but i just heard a little noice so im thinking its gonna return.I just emailed englander to let them be aware of the problem.If it returns i will pull the blower tomarrow and inspect and clean it if need be,i really hope its just a little dirty on the fins but im affraid it probably is a defective motor,time will tell.Unfortunatly nothing man made is perfect.If it needs a new motor who knows,that one may last years and years.Will keep ya updated

I have an inkling as to what the problem could be, but if you have a chance call customer service and they will get you all taken care of.

OK,just got off the phone with Mike,absolutely wonderfull,couldnt ask for a better tech.The problem is cured and all is good.Just want to thank everyone for the replys and a big thanks to Englander and there awesome support,couldnt ask for a nicer place to deal with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.