Englander 25-PDVC - A couple of issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

houset

Feb 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello,

Hopefully somebody can answer a few of my questions regarding the Englander Stove. First off, i wanted to say i am loving the stove. It has a nice heat, and these issues listed below i would consider to be minor annoyances. So far, i am on my 12th bag of pellets this season burning Lignetics.

1) Squealing from the auger, primarily on shutdown only. - I am noticing a squealing on shutdown. It is a high-pitched squeal that happens every 10 seconds, and lasts for 2 seconds. It happens on shutdown, and mostly when the fire is out. I am pretty sure the squealing is coming from the auger chamber. My initial thought is that this is a creosote/carbon build up in the tube. The problem i have though is that i cannot get in there deep enough to clean the bottom chamber. So, my questions are: a) Am i right in my diagnosis? b) How do i get the auger out of the way so that i can clean that tube properly? I am a little concerned that i have only burned 12 bags and this is already occurring.

2) Fast burn rate - So I had mentioned that i have burned 12 bags of fuel so far. I have not burned all 12 bags in a row. Up untikl this point, it has been warm enough where i am burning at a clip of 4 hours per evening. 2 days ago, i tested the stove to see what the burn rate would be straight through on a 40lb bag. I started it at 8am on Setting 1/1. It made it to about 7:30.. So not quite 12 hours. My gut tells me this is way too fast, considering the manual states 16-24 hrs as a guide. I am burning Lignetics Pellets. One thing i do notice is that when, i clean my ashes, they are clumpy. they don't have a fineness to them. They aren't all clumpy, but to me it seems that the feed might be coming in too fast and not allowing the pellets to burn through. The fire seems to be pretty good at that level as well. Sometimes it is a small flame, and then sometimes it seems rather large. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks for your help on these two items.

1) The squealing is most likely the auger hitting either carbon buildup or the auger tube itself. If it's the tube, you'll need to center the auger in the tube. This is very simple to do, and directions are available on Englander's site.

2) To adjust the burn rate, close the slider in the hopper as much as you can. You can then adjust the Low Fuel Feed and the Low Burn Air buttons on the control panel. The lower the LFF the slower the pellets are fed in when the stove is on low (settings 1 and 2). The higher the LBA the more air is fed into the burnpot area when the stove is on low. You'll need to play with these settings to get the best burn setup for your stove and brand of pellets.

Good luck

little confused about this "slider in the hopper" My pdvc does not have one, that I have ever seen. Where is the adjustment?

it is at the very bottom of the hopper, that allows you to adjust the size of the opening that allows the pellets to fall into the top auger. it is approximately 1-1/2" x 4-1/2". it is adjusted by loosening the 5/16" hex head screw and sliding the plate to allow more or less pellets. right now I have mine totally removed, and am able to regulate by turning the LFF up or down accordingly.

rap69ri said:
1) The squealing is most likely the auger hitting either carbon buildup or the auger tube itself. If it's the tube, you'll need to center the auger in the tube. This is very simple to do, and directions are available on Englander's site.

2) To adjust the burn rate, close the slider in the hopper as much as you can. You can then adjust the Low Fuel Feed and the Low Burn Air buttons on the control panel. The lower the LFF the slower the pellets are fed in when the stove is on low (settings 1 and 2). The higher the LBA the more air is fed into the burnpot area when the stove is on low. You'll need to play with these settings to get the best burn setup for your stove and brand of pellets.

Good luck

Thanks for this information. As soon as this hopper is empty, i will check this out. Following up on bullet one: Where on Englander's site does it mention on how to remove and adjust the augers. I looked in teh manuals and on their additional web pages for this and cant find the info. A link would be great if you have it.

What should my flame be like? i set mine on 1-3 as anything higher is overkill for the room i have it in. Plus, it seems like it burns much quicker. And i tend to get a flame that is fairly strong, but yellow. And i think that produces more soot on the glass and carbon build up in the auger. So does that mean not enough air, too much air. i know it can't be too much pellets :)

Hi, mine does the same (not a squeal) more like a very low moan about every 30 seconds to 1 minute or so and lasts about 1-2 seconds. Don't even notice it any more. I haven't burned 24/7 yet so I don't know how many pellets I will go through. When I have been running it, I run it on 1-2 and have adjusted the bottom buttons to 5-5-1 from 6-4-1(factory settings).

The flame should be yellow. If you feel the stove could burn fewer pellets when on the low settings, 1 or 2, then play with the Low Fuel Feed and Low Burn Air settings to get the cleanest burn. For instance my settings for the lower three buttons are 3-8-1.

Hi, I just discovered something. With stove turned up higher, 2-3 auger doesn't moan anymore. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.