englander 25 pdvc auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The link you show from Surplus Center is for a 2 RPM auger motor however the Englander 25 PDVC uses a 1 RPM motor.
I had my lower auger motor lock up about a year ago and freed it up with WD40 and it is still working fine. What is your experience with the 2 RPM motor?
I might want buy a backup, the $18.99 price is appealing. Have you tried one of the 2 RPM motors? If so what differences did you notice in feed rate and any adjustments necessary?

Its running as I type this and it works great. I was a little nervous about the 1 rpm difference but I honestly havent had a problem. They also come ccw so you wont have to reverse it. Plus the price is right . Good luck hope this helps you. Jim.

The only difference Ive notices is on start up seems I get more pellets at the beginning of the burn. but thats it I havent changed a thing.

It is tempting to order one of these as a spare for that price. I am also curious about the RPM though. Do you have to set your feed rate lower since the motor turns faster, or what?

I have 2 of these in the cabinet next to my stove, ready to be installed when needed.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-AC-Gearmotor-1LNG2

Be sure to check rotation of the motor for your application, it will make a difference on your stove. THe ones I have are sold with C/W rotation, but you just remove the coil and turn it 180 degrees and it bocomes a CCW rotation.

The RPM would make a world of difference on my stove as well, as at 2 RPM the top auger would spit out twice as many pellets, and the bottom auger would throw all of the pellets ino the pot too fast.

John

jim3854 said:
The only difference Ive notices is on start up seems I get more pellets at the beginning of the burn. but thats it I haven't changed a thing.

So it works for you, thanks for the info. I'm caught between "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it" and "making a pre-emptive strike"! Did you replace top or bottom auger or both? I run my stove on 1 and 2 settings mostly, concerned about overfeeding then running out of pellets on low settings. Feed can be adjusted to compensate for upper auger speed if necessary but lower will still turn faster.

Jim,

Two question:

1) Have you installed one of these on the top auger?

2) Do you run your stove on higher feed rates often?

I'd be really concerned with an overheat situation with the higher heat ranges if you are using this motor on the top auger. Theoretically you'd be feeding twice as many pellets into the stove as it was designed for. If you're only using it on the bottom auger, it shouldn't affect much, as it will only deliver the pellets that the top auger drops to the burn pot faster.

rich2500 said:

Hello, if you do a search using the forum search function above, you'll find a lot of posts about England auger motors,
one of the most informative is this one:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34017/

You should only use a 1 rpm gear motor because the rotation speed is critical on England stoves.
I've had 3 lower auger gear motor failures since I bought my 25PDVC, I switched to the Gleason Avery motor last Spring and it's
running great now with no problems. The GA gear motor is a superior motor and runs much cooler and has ball bearings rather than the bronze bushings on the Merkle Korff motors. I hope this helps.

Hello pellet stove friends. Ok I have not used the 2 rpm motor on the top auger. I generally dont go above 5 for the heat setting. Also I have a question is there a way to get the fan to go lower than the heat setting ? in other words if the heat is set to 5 can I have the fan on say 2 ? thx guys

jim3854 said:
Hello pellet stove friends. Ok I have not used the 2 rpm motor on the top auger. I generally dont go above 5 for the heat setting. Also I have a question is there a way to get the fan to go lower than the heat setting ? in other words if the heat is set to 5 can I have the fan on say 2 ? thx guys

I think the controller is going to say no to any attempt at running the convection blower at a setting less than the firing rate for safety reasons.

SmokeyTheBear said:
jim3854 said:

I think the controller is going to say no to any attempt at running the convection blower at a setting less than the firing rate for safety reasons.

Smokey is 100% correct ( he usually is) , the circuit board on a England 25 PDVC will not allow you to run the blower speed lower than the number for the feed rate. England builds that into the circuit board to protect stove owners from themselves and keep you safe.
It's really best to stay with the 1 RPM auger motors, that's how the stove is designed to work.

lorne41 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Smokey is 100% correct ( he usually is) , the circuit board on a England 25 PDVC will not allow you to run the blower speed lower than the number for the feed rate. England builds that into the circuit board to protect stove owners from themselves and keep you safe.
It's really best to stay with the 1 RPM auger motors, that's how the stove is designed to work.

Weird, what am I missing? I have a 55-SHP10, which I always thought was the exact same as the 25-PDVC, but I can set my blower to whatever I want regardless of what the feed rate is set at.

Hello, if your England stove is running as it's supposed to, you can move your convection blower speed above the feed rate speed but not below it.
If you have your feed rate set at 3 your blower will move to higher numbers ( 3-9) but should not go below the feed rate of 3 unless you change that to a lower number and then you can lower the blower speed. I just checked mine again and if I move the feed rate up, the blower speed moves along with it but it doesn't move down if I lower the feed rate, I have to manually do that. This is from the England owners manual:

Recommended Heat Ranges for Pellet Unit Control Board:
Burn: Heat Range setting: 1 Room Air Blower setting: 1
Medium Low: Heat Range setting: 2 – 3 Room Air Blower setting: *
Medium High: Heat Range setting: 5 – 8 Room Air Blower setting: *
High Burn: Heat Range setting: 9 Room Air Blower setting: 9
* NOTE: Blower Speed should match Heat Range setting.

Ya, strange. The 55SHP-10 control board must not have that feature because mine definitely does not behave that way. I've put it on feed rate 5, blower speed 3 many times. (Is that dangerous?)

Hello, probably not good but I'll let the other forum members chime in on this one. I just checked the England web site and your stove takes the same control board as mine does. It might be a good idea to call England tech. service just to be safe. They have 2 different control boards, one for models before 2004 and one for after 2004. Mine is a 2008 model.

lorne41 said:
Hello, probably not good but I'll let the other forum members chime in on this one. I just checked the England web site and your stove takes the same control board as mine does. It might be a good idea to call England tech. service just to be safe. They have 2 different control boards, one for models before 2004 and one for after 2004. Mine is a 2008 model.

Interesting. We just bought ours new at Lowe's this fall.

Hi, you might want to give England Stove Works tech. service a call just to make sure, but I wouldn't run the blower speed below the feed rate speed, that could cause it to overheat and go into a E3 overheat code and shut down. Your control board may let you run the blower speed below the feed rate speed, but according to the England web site, you shouldn't do that. Just my 2 cents....

I'm pretty sure mine will allow lower blower setting than heat.

I'll check when I get home if I rememeber.

Its also an old non ignitor(2001)

lorne41 said:

My 25 PDVC is a 2006 and the blower speed setting can be reduced below the heat setting, it just sounds like a downshift but doesn't squeal the tires. Curious about the multiple auger motor failures some experience, my motor is original although I did cure a lockup with WD40 about a year ago. Airlines always claim "pilot error" but the pellet folks seem to be pretty knowledgable as a group. I am going to see how well the low budget 2 RPM motor works for jim3854 but I believe I will consider the Gleason Avery shown in past posts as a replacement.

It might be that England Stove Works may have different control boards over the years. Mine is factory programed for equal blower and feed rate speeds. I like the Gleason Avery gear motor a hell of a lot better than the OEM MK gear motors. The MK ones are only rated for intermittent duty and they are running constantly and get way too hot in the ESW stoves. I've lost one a year for the last 3 years and got tired of replacing them at $130.00 a whack plus shipping.
I found a GA gear motor last year on Ebay for $45.00 + 7 s/h and got another GA at a yard sale last Spring for $10.00 along with a complete auger, so I'm all set for now! I used to leave the back panel off my stove so that I could lube the MK gear motors so they wouldn't seize up, now I installed the back panel back on because I don't have to worry with the GA gear motors.

mfg. date on my stove is 8/04 and it also allows me to run with the blower speed lower then the feed rate,this will only be the second auger motor replacement on my stove so far(first one was under warranty) and actually the one in the stove is still working fine(both lower motors) but just starting to make a little noise so I would like to get one to have on hand $130.00 from ESW is a little pricey though.now I'm just unsure if I wanna go with the Fasco,Dayton or Gleason.I wonder how much the fan helps on the Dayton since this is for the lower and gets alot of heat.
20120114_070320.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.