Englander 25 PDVC Blower/Fan Air Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrstate

Oct 11, 2009
Central PA
I"ve owned an Englander 25 PDVC for 3 years and I love it...I noticed that it wasnt blowing on high setting like it used to so after searching this site i quickly discovered that my fan had gotten clogged with dog hair and dust i removed the fan and cleaned now its like new and blows great...but here is my question...after reinstalling i was trying to figure a way to put a filter over it to make cleaning easier when i felt air blowing out the bottom of the stove below the fan...upon inspection i found that the weld doesnt go all the way to the corner thus letting air escape from the box where the fan mounts...is this normal??? i wanted to seal it up but dont want to do anything that will screw up my stove...also any ideas on a filter system i thought about putting a screen over the fan opening to make cleaning easier without having to remove the fan...THANX

nrstate:

I also have an ESW 25-PDVC/55-SHP10. Having read a while ago about the "leak" you noted below the fan, I recall Mike Holton (ESW; on this site often) saying that the hole is for the fire box glass wash "exhuast." As such, I would not think it wise to seal it up. Regarding your thinking of installing a filter on the unit, doing anything that might restrict air flow might cause damage to the unit (e.g. over heating). The unit is deisgned and tested to meet certain standards; any modifications, esp. of this nature, probably put it out of its "certified" state and, as such, increase the chances of premature failure and would most likely make you completely liable for any consequences of a unit failure (e.g. fire, etc.) That risk isn't worth it; take the time to clean it on a regular basis. Just my 2 cents...

Ray

I think I had a post on this with pics last year, I sealed mine up and have had no issues,

Search this below. by Pelletizer. I think this is what you are talking about.

Englander Short on Welding NOT! “Now with pics”

actually i think thats a different hole he is talking about, the "blower housing" area or heat exchange chamber" has a couple of corners where we intentionally left a hole to allow the guys on the line to dump out the "shot" that we peen the stove with to finish out the outer shell prior to apinting , they would be in the bottom outside corners of the blower chamber. if this is what you are seeing they are not going to cause any performance issues.

Thanks for the fast response...but can it be sealed to blow out more air i know its not alot of air but every little bit helps...or will that hurt the performance..

Status
Not open for further replies.