Englander 25-PDVC Hearth Pad Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgOnKing

Jan 7, 2010
NE Ohio
Just got my first pellet stove (Englander) for my home in NE Ohio. Really excited to see it in action. The stove is going in a new-construction addition that has carpet.

For a hearth pad I purchased a 3' X 3' concrete slab from a local concrete contractor. Not only does it has a nice smooth finish and beveled edge, but it's also 2 inches thick. I would like to paint the slab to accent our addition and am curious if I need to use a high-heat type/rated form of paint. I called my local Sherwin-Williams and explained my situation. He seemed to think that a paint that's rated to 150-160 degrees F would suffice for the pad but I want to be sure.

I tried calling Englander but they are closed for the eve. I will try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I was wondering what you folks think. There's a ton of good info here and I though this was a good place to ask regardless of what I'm told by Englander tomorrow.

Does it get hot enough under the unit for me to spend the extra $ to purchase a true fireplace-rated finish? Not only is there extra cost involved, but the available color choices are limited compared to what I mentioned above.

Thanks for your help. Look forward to many winters with my new stove and addition.

Hi, I have an Englander also and my hearth pad barely gets warm so I think you are safe.

Thanks Sydney. I will post what I'm told by Englander for those who may find this thread in the future with similar questions.

I actually spent around $80-90 on the material and built it myself.

sheet of plywood
some kind of heat resistant board that tile will stick to (forget the name)
on sale slate tiles
pre-mixed grout
finish boards around the sides

Attachments

• tile[1].jpg
    tile[1].jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 229
  • PIC_0012.jpg
    PIC_0012.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.