1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Englander 25 PDVC Outside Air, gaskets, and other little tinker troubles

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Tom Bentley, Oct 11, 2012.

1. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny

WOW, you must have the "golden stove".
    I have to run the stove on heat setting 9 just to get a decent heat out of the stove. Last night I ran the stove on on 2-3-1. I filled the hopper up at 930, it is now 7:45 and there maybe a pound of pellets left in there. I am easily going through 2 bags a day. I have it on a TSTAT and I have another stove that I run. Now grant it my house is old, I insluated the rooms that my two stoves are in a few years ago. However, that doesn't matter if I can't get heat out of the stove. I can literally put my hand in front of this stove and hold it there I think, longer than I should be able to.
    I have also been burning drycreek premiums. I also burn barefoot. It doesn't matter what my settings are, I seem to go through alot of pellets.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I checked my PDVC last night with an infrared thermometer. On a setting of 5 burn-9 blower, burning Green Teams, the front right corner of the stove was over 400 F with the front left corner being about 100 degrees cooler. When the thermostat is satisfied the stove smolders with bottom button settings of 3-4-1 for about an hour before it calls for more heat. This is in a concrete basement with a big box fan for circulation.
    I am burning on mode "d" so I don't think I am over firing this stove. The flue exterior temperature is about 120 F.
  3. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    So here some temps I am getting compared to yours.
    The thermometer is not touching the stove, just temping the air coming out...

9.3.1   4.5.jpg <<<------------ 225::F with 9-3-1 bottom buttons & 4 / 5 top

2.4.1  9.9.jpg <<<---------------220::F with 2-4-1 bottom buttons & 9 / 9 top

burning dry creek premium.

I will try the 3-4-1 5 / 9 in a bit.
    --------------> I am getting 175::F with these
  4. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    It's hard to compare numbers when the measurement techniques are different. Your numbers are certainly lower than mine. Just a non-technical observation, my stove is too hot to touch just minutes after the fire is established.
    Looks like you have a pretty good blaze going in the box.
  5. Tom Bentley

Tom Bentley New Member

I'm gonna to get a thermometer to give accurate temps to anyone. Let me go touch it.... ouch! Can tap both the right and left front but only tap - can't place a finger on it for more than just a tap. Can hold hand in front of blower exit air but its certainly not comfortable. I can't imagine running on 9. When I'm set to factor specs, 6-4-1 lower, its too hot to handle even running anything above 3 on the top buttons. Checking room temp now its 29 outside and 72 inside on 2-5-1 lower and 2-4 upper but i can't go any lower setting or i get too much smolder. My PDVC-25 is 08/2006 model == don't know if that makes a difference in the factory settings so we might be comparing apples to oranges.

Tom