Englander 25 PDVC Outside Air, gaskets, and other little tinker troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMac - maybe you read an earlier post ... I tried it at 2-9-1 when I was having so much trouble with smoke. Since that was cured with the appliance adapter, re-siliconing the clean-out Tee, adding 12 inches further from house, and oak properly installed, I've been running 2-6-1 or sometimes 2-5-1.

Chrisassist -- Beats me but I know my house is not well sealed, we should be having very similar outside temps since I'm in the Painted Post/Addison/Corning area and on top of a mountain where the wind blows just cuz it can. I'm certainly not breaking a sweat in here very often but in the room with my stove I run usually 66-71 when in the mid 20's outside and upstairs runs about 4-6 degrees cooler than downstairs where the stove is located. I am burning Dry Creek pellets and running about 24-26 hours per bag maybe a little longer. I have noticed that sometimes they just seem to burn hotter than at other times and attribute this to variance in each bag of pellets. I'm working on getting better air flow to the upstairs with fans but haven't completed the project just yet ... thinking a ceiling fan turning very slow in the stairwell leading up to living room area which is actually street level. Sunny days are really good for me with a tin roof and lots of big southern exposure windows which let in lots of natural heat when its sunny.

What kind of numbers are you running and what's your bag burn length -- just curious.

Tom

WOW, you must have the "golden stove".
I have to run the stove on heat setting 9 just to get a decent heat out of the stove. Last night I ran the stove on on 2-3-1. I filled the hopper up at 930, it is now 7:45 and there maybe a pound of pellets left in there. I am easily going through 2 bags a day. I have it on a TSTAT and I have another stove that I run. Now grant it my house is old, I insluated the rooms that my two stoves are in a few years ago. However, that doesn't matter if I can't get heat out of the stove. I can literally put my hand in front of this stove and hold it there I think, longer than I should be able to.
I have also been burning drycreek premiums. I also burn barefoot. It doesn't matter what my settings are, I seem to go through alot of pellets.

I can literally put my hand in front of this stove and hold it there I think, longer than I should be able to.
I checked my PDVC last night with an infrared thermometer. On a setting of 5 burn-9 blower, burning Green Teams, the front right corner of the stove was over 400 F with the front left corner being about 100 degrees cooler. When the thermostat is satisfied the stove smolders with bottom button settings of 3-4-1 for about an hour before it calls for more heat. This is in a concrete basement with a big box fan for circulation.
I am burning on mode "d" so I don't think I am over firing this stove. The flue exterior temperature is about 120 F.

So here some temps I am getting compared to yours.
The thermometer is not touching the stove, just temping the air coming out...

9.3.1   4.5.jpg <<<------------ 225::F with 9-3-1 bottom buttons & 4 / 5 top

2.4.1  9.9.jpg <<<---------------220::F with 2-4-1 bottom buttons & 9 / 9 top

burning dry creek premium.

I will try the 3-4-1 5 / 9 in a bit.
--------------> I am getting 175::F with these

The thermometer is not touching the stove, just temping the air coming out...
It's hard to compare numbers when the measurement techniques are different. Your numbers are certainly lower than mine. Just a non-technical observation, my stove is too hot to touch just minutes after the fire is established.
Looks like you have a pretty good blaze going in the box.

I'm gonna to get a thermometer to give accurate temps to anyone. Let me go touch it.... ouch! Can tap both the right and left front but only tap - can't place a finger on it for more than just a tap. Can hold hand in front of blower exit air but its certainly not comfortable. I can't imagine running on 9. When I'm set to factor specs, 6-4-1 lower, its too hot to handle even running anything above 3 on the top buttons. Checking room temp now its 29 outside and 72 inside on 2-5-1 lower and 2-4 upper but i can't go any lower setting or i get too much smolder. My PDVC-25 is 08/2006 model == don't know if that makes a difference in the factory settings so we might be comparing apples to oranges.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.