Englander 25-PDVC problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djscopper

Jan 28, 2014
Oklahoma
I have an Englander 25-PDVC that we just purchased from a friend. It is connected to a thermostat and we run it on 9-9 since that is the recommendation in the manual. I have checked the mode and we are running in "c" mode and the bottom three buttons are at 4-4-1. It is heating great and seems to burn very well with little ash left but we are burning through a bag of pellets about every 12 hours or so. Could someone please tell me what I might check to make the bag last longer? Thanks.

With a thermostat on, there won't be much you can do to make adjustments. What is the approximate percentage of time that the stove spends on high? You could run the stove in "D" mode, which is normal for your stove, but with the thermostat, it will simply keep it on high longer and likely still go through a similar amount of pellets.

Two simple answers to reduce usage when you have a thermostat:

- Reduce the thermostat temperature, calling for less heat

- Insulate the house more

You could disconnect the thermostat and place a wire jumper between the contacts to get back to manual mode. Then you can reduce down to 5-5 or something similar, but you will have to pay closer attention to your room temp.

With a thermostat, it's not much different than running a furnace or boiler. The stove will heat until the stat is satisfied. You can reduce consumption by insulating or lowering temp.

Good luck!

4-4-1 is a place to start. You could try bumping the low fuel feed down to 3 and see if your stove stays lit when it is idling down. If your fire is completely going out before the next bunch of pellets is fed in, then you should bump the LFF back up.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.