Englander 25-PDVC Sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itcjoe

Nov 18, 2008
Western PA
Hi all! I found this great resource a few months ago and this is now the first place I come to find news and info about pellet stoves/pellets. Thanks to the creators for this wonderful resource.

This is the second year burning my Englander 25-PDVC, and this morning as I was doing my weekly cleaning, I noticed that under the ash lip on the front of the stove.........there was some sort of sealant or caulking sealing the lip to the body of the stove. It looks as though the sealant shrunk and there is now about 4-5 inches of the seam that is no longer sealed.

I would like to re-seal it, but I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of sealant this is? It seems flexible, kinda like silicone sealant you would use in a kitchen or bathroom, but given the heat of the stove when operating, is there a special type or brand of sealant I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Dow Corning 735 high temperature sealant should work, the kind used to seal pipe joints, red color, in a green tube. You can spray paint it black if you're fussy.

hold up, if its near the ends of the stove I believe its actually an inlet for the air wash. there was another post about someone finding these holes (actually just a gap in the welds or sealant) I looked at my stove and found them as well. they don't look to be on purpose but I guess they are there for a reason.

The inlets for the air was are clear. The sealant has shrunk on the seam where the ash lip meets the body of the stove.

Ok cool just wanted to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.