Englander 25-PDVC Shuts off after 2 to 6 hrs w/E1 code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akyllonen

Dec 29, 2013
Maine
I've had this issue with the stove shutting off (just stops w/E1 code) blower stops and augur stops. It starts up fine and runs at least 2 to 4 hrs (and as many as 6hrs) then just errors out. Issue started end of last season, and I just ran oil heat the rest of that season.

I put in a new burn pot gasket this year, as the old one was pretty much gone/destroyed. After that it ran fine for 2-3 weeks without the issue. Then the issue came back and will run on average ~4hrs before it errors out.

Thinking it may be a bad vacuum switch, and will be trying out jumpering that today, plus checking all the hoses/wiring as well. Door gasket seems good (did the dollar bill test). Not sure about the glass gasket as the corner where the ends come together seems a little frayed, but not sure if that's normal....

Any ideas what could be causing the stove to run 4hrs then just stop with the E1 errors?

Thanks!

When was the last time you did a COMPLETE cleaning....pull combustion/convection blower, clean vent, blow out every nook and cranny? Also, checking everything you stated is a good start. Clean the hole and hose out where the firebox vacuum switch goes to in the back of the firebox.

When was the last time you did a COMPLETE cleaning....pull combustion/convection blower, clean vent, blow out every nook and cranny? Also, checking everything you stated is a good start. Clean the hole and hose out where the firebox vacuum switch goes to in the back of the firebox.

I did the yearly cleaning of the stove pipe, vent, etc at the beginning of the season. I have not pulled out the combustion/convection blower ever and I don't have a replacement gasket to try it right now...I'd have to order one.

As far as the back of the firebox goes, it looks like I have to remove the convection blower to get to it?

Looked at the vacuum switch going into the combustion blower and it doesn't seem quite 100% attached (pic below) not sure if when it heats up this could be the cause?

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 222
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 226
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 204

I had this problem, after cleaning as mentioned above the stove functioned as it should.

No....that's not the correct vacuum switch...there should be two of them in your stove, it's the other one. I posted a wiring diagram in the previous post

And yes, make sure the combustion vacuum hose is attached firmly too.....you can take that hose off too and make sure that hole is not clogged.

If you look to the right at the top of the burnpot, there is a hole. Make sure this is free of ash and unclogged....

burnpot10.jpg

No....that's not the correct vacuum switch...there should be two of them in your stove, it's the other one. I posted a wiring diagram in the previous post

OK, here's the other one. Do I need to take out the convection blower to get to it? I can't see how it is connected to the front of the stove and if it would just pull off

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 170
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.