Englander 25-PDVC Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I have a new Englander 25-PDVC pellet stove. We have run it maybe 6 hours. There is a smell, i am usure if its a smokey smell or smell of wood burning.

IS this normal?

i am struggling with the same thing right now. Burning it for about 2 1/2 hours and still smoking. i am pretty sure it is not pellet smoke however. I think there's a curing process that has to happen, or so i've been told..

I broke my stove in last year, and it smoked for about 6-8 hours. Open your windows and turn on your fans because it stinks. Once it stops you're all set. Good luck.

It's in my plans to connect a thermostat this year, but it worked great without it last year. I very rarely increased the fuel feed and blower to more than 3.

Chris,

Here's a post snipet from Mike of Englander Stoves:

the low fuel feed setting is 6 , the low burnr is 4 and the air on temp is 1 unless the unit is an 05 or older, if you have an older unit

Trim settings are 6 - 4 - 1 from the factory for the PDV and PDVC and should stay there unless advised otherwise by one of our Technical Support staff.

The "seasoning" smell may be persistent for more than a few other depending on the stove. I burn tons of stoves every day and some take just a few others to cure while some may take 8+ hours to lose the "curing" smell. If your venting system is well sealed, the curing smell is nothing to concern yourself with.

Ok thank you, WHoever answered me o nthe customerservice email told me 4-9-1

I asked them

What is the factory setting for these Low Fuel Feed, Low Burn Air and Air on Temp.

They said

4-9-1

Chris04626 said:

If you gave them the correct model #, it seems there are some "issues" with their Tech support. :roll:

Chris04626 said:

I asked them

What is the factory setting for these Low Fuel Feed, Low Burn Air and Air on Temp.

They said

4-9-1

I`d rather go with guy (Corie) who test burns them every day. He says (6-4-1)
That is unless you conferred with a factory tech and he feels that your particular installation/and burning situation required a change of settings.

Anyone have the smoke smell yet? I just installed the Summers heat 1500 square foot model..I smell smoke around the door as soon as it starts lighting..This is with the door as tight as I can get it.

Thanks..God Bless You! K

Hiskid said:
Anyone have the smoke smell yet? I just installed the Summers heat 1500 square foot model..I smell smoke around the door as soon as it starts lighting..This is with the door as tight as I can get it.

Thanks..God Bless You! K

I don't think it is unusual to smell smoke during startup if you are using the self igniter. The pellets tend to smoke before they get hot enough to burst into flames. Smoke in the burn pot should stop at this point. I stopped using my auto ignite and light mine (Englander25-PDVC) manually to speed up the process.

I didn't think you should be able to have combustion air leak into the house, or is this just norm for pellet/wood stoves?

I still have smoke in my house, only at startup.. It is the crappy duravent in my case. I had to rip it all out and buy a new appliance adapter.. Now, it leaks from the 45 degree elbow. It has become very frustrating.

Thanks..If you smell it at start up doesn't that mean your still getting combustion fumes in the house? I still think it leaks at the door/window seal.

I guess in theory, it would be yes.. However, the smoke is gone literally in 30 seconds, so i think when the blowers kick in, the air is forced through pipe. I would say someone else who is more knowledgeable than me would be best answer that. I know my CO detectors aren't going off, and i don't notice any smell when the stove is on for a few minutes.

As for where it leaks, i know my smoke is coming from the PelletVent pipe.

im breking mine in snd have a light smokey smell but it seems to come from the blower itself. if it were oil or paint it seems like it wouldnt smell like pellets. but, i dont see ny smoke coming out of duravent piping but dont know if i would see it either. ive burned it for about four hours now.

What seeting have you burned it on? When I was breaking mine in the smoke/smell lasted 6-8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.