Englander 25-PDVC startup info needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
All,
May have an issue with the igniter circuit but need to understand the timing during startup.
I measured the igniter and had about 49 ohms. Not open; reading about right?
Do not see mention of separate fuse for the igniter.

How long after hitting "On" should the igniter fire up??
I may not be waiting long enough. Have been lighting with hand sanitizer.

Thanks!

All,
May have an issue with the igniter circuit but need to understand the timing during startup.
I measured the igniter and had about 49 ohms. Not open; reading about right?
Do not see mention of separate fuse for the igniter.

How long after hitting "On" should the igniter fire up??
I may not be waiting long enough. Have been lighting with hand sanitizer.

Thanks!
That resistance does correspond to approximately 300W, so that isn't an issue. I did have an igniter that measured about right, but the surface was badly corroded and it did not light reliably.
In order to work correctly the igniter needs to be positioned correctly, about 1/8" back from the hole that connects to the fire box. That hole has to be clean and the door seal has to be functioning properly. Obviously the combustion blower also affects igniter performance, but if you have an active fire the blower is working.
With a new igniter I see smoke within two minutes and flame at about four minutes. Those times are generous, it usually ignites faster than that.

This is the wiring chart for the control board used in that stove:
PU-CB04 Wiring Chart
It doesn't have a separate fuse for the igniter, the 6A fuse serves everything. If I recall correctly the fuse isn't really 6A. I think mine has a 5A fuse in it.

First let me start by saying I am in no way an expert on these stoves, that being said I have worked on several of these stoves and heat my workshop with one.
Once you press the start button the start up cycle begins it needs to complete with in 20 minutes I believe. My workshop stove usually take about 5 minutes to glow red hot, and is running in about 15 minutes. It should take a little while for the igniter to get hot and glow red. Also make sure the burn pot is clean, no ash around the igniter. As for the oms reading I have no idea what it should be, but I am sure someone here will know. You can test the stove by removing all pellets from hopper and running stove through a start up cycle then you can time how long it takes for the igniter to glow, if its around 5 minutes or so I would say its ok much longer then that and you might have a problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!
The stove is used and igniter worked when first fired it up.
Will check the distance of igniter to hole.
Will also check the times during the next restart.

Hope problem is not in the circuit that drives the igniter. (relay/output transistor)
I could hook my meter up to the lugs feeding the igniter during startup.
Would verify power to igniter.

-Mike-

I could hook my meter up to the lugs feeding the igniter during startup. Would verify power to igniter.
First, I would look at the hole just above the fire pot to see if there is a red glow during start-up. If there is a glow the igniter is working. Scrape the edges of the hole clean of any ash that may be sticking to it. If the stove hasn't had a thorough cleaning do that before you start trouble shooting. The igniter relies on very hot air coming through that hole to start the pellets burning. If the combustion path is loaded with ash, you may not be getting adequate suction to pull that air into the fire box.
If there isn't a red glow start looking at Voltage.
The control board allows 20 minutes for proof of fire before it exits start-up. If my stove took that long to get going I would be fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.