Englander 25-PDVC stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CladMaster

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2012
Maine
OK, just installed this last week, now I need some info on some of the settings (default settings), oh, just so you know, the stove is brand new from HD.

Manufactured date = 5/12
Serial number = 110790

I've posted the above info with the hopes that someone in Tech Support for this stove comes back with some info / answers.

Right, best start with the config (setup).

Corner instal, 7" from the wall left rear side, 6.5" from the wall right rear side.
Flue adapter
45 bend
2' (2 x 1') horizontal pipes straight out the wall through the wall thimble (updated this info)
Clean out T
2 x 3' vertical straight pipes.
1' pipe (this takes me 1' above window outside.
90 bend
End Cap.

Img_1065.jpg

Img_1067.jpg

Right, now that I've got the details of the install out of the way, I now need to know.....

1/ What are the default values of the 3 lower buttons ?

2/ Do these (LFF / LBA) also have an affect on heat ranges 3 - 9 ?

3/ Why is it that when I increase the room air blower speed, the flames in the fire box also increase / become more intence ?

4/ The stoves Air Room Blower shuts down sometimes, but just before it does this, it makes a lot of noise like it's catching on something and then just grinds to a halt. It only comes back to life if I turn the stove down to heat range 1 or 2. Why ? And why the loud noise at speed 4 - 5 setting ?

Total area that I am trying to heat is about 750 sqf (living area), I can not seem to get the temp above 70 deg C and thats with it on 9 - 9 setting. I also know about the other settings (A,B,C,D), setting C runs my hopper dry in 9 hours !

Would be great if I could get some feedback / help with this.

P.S -- Factory Reset = 5-4-1 and A mode and 1 - 1 for the heat and blower settings !

OK, just installed this last week, now I need some info on some of the settings (default settings), oh, just so you know, the stove is brand new from HD.

Manufactured date = 5/12
Serial number = 110790

I've posted the above info with the hopes that someone in Tech Support for this stove comes back with some info / answers.

Right, best start with the config (setup).

Corner instal, 7" from the wall left rear side, 6.5" from the wall right rear side.
Flue adapter
45 bend
3' (3 x 1') horizontal pipes straight out the wall through the wall thimble
Clean out T
2 x 3' vertical straight pipes.
1' pipe (this takes me 1' above window outside.
90 bend
End Cap.

View attachment 81910

View attachment 81911

Right, now that I've got the details of the install out of the way, I now need to know.....

1/ What are the default values of the 3 lower buttons ?

2/ Do these (LFF / LBA) also have an affect on heat ranges 3 - 9 ?

3/ Why is it that when I increase the room air blower speed, the flames in the fire box also increase / become more intence ?

4/ The stoves Air Room Blower shuts down sometimes, but just before it does this, it makes a lot of noise like it's catching on something and then just grinds to a halt. It only comes back to life if I turn the stove down to heat range 1 or 2. Why ? And why the loud noise at speed 4 - 5 setting ?

Total area that I am trying to heat is about 750 sqf (living area), I can not seem to get the temp above 70 deg C and thats with it on 9 - 9 setting. I also know about the other settings (A,B,C,D), setting C runs my hopper dry in 9 hours !

Would be great if I could get some feedback / help with this.

P.S -- Factory Reset = 5-4-1 and A mode and 1 - 1 for the heat and blower settings !
I would not be touching the lower three buttons until told to do so by the manufacture. Those re preset by them and should be adjust with technical assistance.

Not wanting to sound like a broken record, I can`t imagine why the manual fails to clearly explain those lower 3 buttons to the end user. I mean what`s the big secret? They are there and easily subject to being changed by the user let alone hit accidently.

Call ESW the mode should not be A the last I knew, but things keep changing in controller land.

ETA: Get a decent surge suppressor for that stove.

Where to start. I believe the settings are: c mode, 6-4-1, and the convection blower must be run at one speed above the pellet feed to prevent overheating.

Is there a joint inside that thimble? I'm not real familiar with that brand of pipe.

Yes.

I am thinking of changing that pipe out for a single 3' pipe, that pipe going through the thimble has to go through 3 walls. The pipe is made by Duravent (used the 3000 kit that the stove manufacture recommends) with the 2 extra 3' sections to take the vent 1' above the window.

Well, well smoke show being in league with the code cops.

He is dead on CladMaster don't think about it, do it, it is one of the top causes of vent fires.

Well done smoke

Reactions: smoke show
I have the slightly larger model its the 25 pdv My lower buttons are 6 4 1. and it runs great.

Where to start. I believe the settings are: c mode, 6-4-1, and the convection blower must be run at one speed above the pellet feed to prevent overheating.
Not sure that's correct for this stove. As mentioned above, 6-4-1 is for the PDV.....I think the PDVC is supposed to be 4-6-1.

Push each of the lower 3 buttons and see what the factory has them set for. If they're not anywhere close to the settings we've mentioned, give Englander a call.

Might want to send Mike H. a PM through this forum for a quicker answer (stoveguy2esw).....he is the Senior Service Tech for Englander and he hangs out here on the forum sometimes.

EDIT: Just saw that you did a control board reset....forget my question about what the factory settings were.

Well, well smoke show being in league with the code cops.

He is dead on CladMaster don't think about it, do it, it is one of the top causes of vent fires.

Well done smoke

It's going to be done today. :cool:

Not sure that's correct for this stove. As mentioned above, 6-4-1 is for the PDV.....I think the PDVC is supposed to be 4-6-1.

Push each of the lower 3 buttons and see what the factory has them set for. If they're not anywhere close to the settings we've mentioned, give Englander a call.

Might want to send Mike H. a PM through this forum for a quicker answer (stoveguy2esw).....he is the Senior Service Tech for Englander and he hangs out here on the forum sometimes.

EDIT: Just saw that you did a control board reset....forget my question about what the factory settings were.

What I don't get is why the heat mode setting is 'A' after a factory reset and not 'd' !

Nobody else has mentioned it yet but if your blower is shutting down and making noise like that on a brand new unit I would be on the phone with englander. I have the same stove and it dosent make noises or shut down. And my factory settings were 641 and heat mode d but your stove is a little newer maybe they changed something still I'd give them a call

I agree with Dale above about the blower. I bought a new 10-CPM this.past Spring and the blower made some funny noises, then about 2 days later it seized up!!! Got ahold of Mike and I had a new blower by the end of the week :)

Just call and register your warranty info and they will probably have you troubleshoot a little. If it needs replaced, they will more than likely do so.

Beautiful install... :) And as Smokey suggested, get a good surge protector and also get a solid pipe through that thimble (Thanks Smoke ;))

;em I made a small mistake on the install details, the pipe going through the thimble, there are only 2 1 foot sections, so there is no join inside the thimble with the vent pipe.

Going to give Tech Support a call as soon as they open this morning to regisiter the stove and get some info on the 'A' setting that it defaults to after a factory reset.

Considering all the different makes, years, and models the best advice is to contact Englanders service dept.
6-4-1 has to be an average starting point for the 25 pdvc and 25pdv.
I think the reason there are so many conflicting opinions is because Englander techs recommend settings to users based on their particular stove burn characteristics due to the different installs/venting/etc.This obviously works for that particular user but that same setting doesn`t always work for the next guy.
And it`s easy to get confused. Reading so many forum threads with all the different mode and setting numbers thrown out as well as changes in different models and changes in controller programs I got a bit confused myself so I called Englander tech yesterday, out of curiosity just to re-confirm the heat mode for my 25pdvc ( 2008). He told me mode "d" is the factory setting for that stove. "C" setting will feed more pellets resulting in a hotter burn.
My stove will burn reasonably hot in d mode set on #9 heat range but when switched to c mode it burns just much hotter on the same heat range settings . Maybe a slightly dirtier burn but the potential heat output capability is significant. I really don`t see any smoke when running on c mode.
Another factory tech told me (2 yrs ago) to change my heat mode to C if I couldn`t get enough heat from d mode. he did say that I might experience a dirtier burn and the stove could shut down on overheat if run too hot especially with the dist fan lower than #9
On bitter colder months of Dec/Jan I have no reservations at all running it on c mode but the not so cold months it heats just fine on d mode.

OK, called Tech Support.

Settings should be 6-4-1 mode 'c' or 'd' but are user adjustable for heat and fuel usage (burn colour, blue / white flame / low pellet usage).

LFF - This affects the heat ranges 1 - 9 on the heat setting.

LBA - This is the lowest air pull on exhaust fan to allow a clean burn.

When the Room Air Blower number is increased or decreased it also affects the air intake within the burn pot, the higher you have this number, the more heat gets thrown out, but here is the snag, too high a setting also throws the hot air out the exhaust vent before most of it is absorbed by the heat exchanger.

Fan noise, was a one off thing, can not get it to do it again !

What I don't get is why the heat mode setting is 'A' after a factory reset and not 'd' !
Mike had said in a previous thread that some controllers will not automatically revert to the correct mode setting. It has to be done manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.