Englander 25-PDVC vaccum hose keeps cracking/drying out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gumbyjunior1

Nov 29, 2015
Massachusetts
I inherited the Englander 25-PDVC (Manufactured 10/2002) pellet stove when my wife and I bought the house. This year we started to actually use it. I had it serviced by a guy who cleans out and maintains the Englander stove. After about 2 weeks since the service, the stove shut off with a E code (Just E).
After calling Englander tech support, they indicated to check the vacuum hose out and cut about a half a inch off the hose and pop it back in, since the vacuum hose end near the stint was dried out and cracked.
After doing this, the stove ran fine.
A month and a half later, the the stove stop working again with the E code. (Just E)
I checked the end of the hose and it again was cracked.

I bought the official gasket and hose kit from England's Stove Works and noticed that the vacumm hose was different from what was originally on there. What was on there was a blue hose (I suspect high temp grade hose), and what England's sent me was a clear hose.

I replaced the vacuum hose completely with the clear hose.

Now I am getting the E code more frequently, after about 3 uses of the stove (running about 1.5 hours each use) and find that the hose end is cracked. I have a feeling that something is really not riight here.

After finding a copy of the original manual (rev 09/02), it mentions that the E code indicates that there is possible a problem with the combustion blower.

So hear is the kicker...My wife had reviewed the manual and pointed out that there is no pipe going outside for the internal air, just the flute. How the previous owner did nor the service technician pick up on this - have no clue.
So I have left to figure that its possible that the hose keeps cracking because I am not feeding fresh air from outside, causing the combustion blower to run hotter, thus drying out the hose.

Thoughts?
I am thinking of 1. Drilling a hole to get the proper pipe through to get the outside air
2. going to Lowes or Home Depot to get a higher temp hose

Attachments

• 20151125_045140418_iOS.jpg
    20151125_045140418_iOS.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 917
Update: I am suspecting that I was supposed to be using the Blue High Temp hose....

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Not having the oak should have no effect on the hose.. the oak is recommended yes but not absolutely mandatory. Depends on the tightness of the home.. if what you are thinking is actually then atleast 50% or more of the people on this site alone would have the same problem.. Not everybody installs the oak.

I would source out the best tubing you can find and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.