Englander 25-PDVP shut down by itself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 25-PDVP appears to have shot down shortly after I did a mini-pot cleaning and pellet load this morning.
I suppose it's possible I didn't hang around long enough to make sure it was fully burning, but after the cleaning, I slowly shut the door and turned the settings back up to 9/9 (from1/0... I always drop the burn rate and room air fan all the way down when doing the celaning). I was getting a good blaze when I left. No pellets were manually added ... I just cleared out some of the 'dead' / black pellets, and left the 'glowers'.

I wanted to clean it out tonight anyway, so told my wife not to add any pellets. She texted me after getting home, and said the living room was down to 57 and the stove was out. Hmm .... so when I got home, it didn't appear to have ANY lights on the controller... no error codes, no red light on the 'off', nor green on the 'on'. By the level of pellets, it probably quit feeding shortly after I left.

If the flame had gone out .. shouldn't it have left a code on the controller? ..rather than fully shutting itself down?
None of the digital clocks were flashing or had reset, so I doubt if we had a power blip. It's on a surge protector, but not a battery backup unit or line conditioner.

Finally going down to do the 'full clean' now, and will do a diagnostics run before re-lighting.

I'm suspecting an inconsistent upper auger feed. :-( It appeared to work fine in diagnostics mode, but It did just shut off on it's own again, after a full clean and re-light (manual only). It light seemed to burn just fine for the 10 minutes while I was watching it, then went upstairs... came back down to check on it about 15 minutes later, and it was out. No pellets - none visible in the bottom auger. That might be part of it's shutdown proceedure, though?? ... I know when I manually shut it down (hit the 'off' button) ... it takes some time to REALLY shut down, as it stops the upper auger, and runs the bottom one until it's empty.

Remove the pellets from the hopper and clean out all the wood dust from the bottom of the hopper.

The wood flakes / dust can stop the pellets from being feed as it builds a dam / bridge in the hopper.

Yes ... That's part of my 'run dry' clean procedure. So, gets cleaned vacuumed out at least twice a week. It's certainly possible I could get one bag that had an unusual amount of fines or broken pellets in it, though. Or .. I have a sick upper auger motor, that doesn't always kick in. 2 weeks ago, I took both augers out and thoroughly cleaned .. did the buff treatment, etc on them, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.