Englander 25-PVDC heat range control issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Galway

Oct 29, 2022
Galway,NY
The heat range will now only go up, not down. I did a hard reset twice but the problem is still there. Eventually, the blower number matches the heat range number. Once up to 9 neither will go down. I normally start at 5 and 9 then back the heat range down to 1 with the fan at 9.

I can run it if i start at 5/9 and stay there but no ability to back off .

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Sounds like your "down" button gave up the ghost. You could replace it if you're handy at unsoldering / soldering electronics or you might be able to have someone local do it? You're other option is a new board.

The other thing you could do, if you're not already, is to either wire in a thermostat or at least a toggle switch to simulate one. This is assuming you have your control board in hi/low mode. You would start your stove at 5/9. When you're warm enough, kill the toggle switch (the thermostat would do this automatically) and the stove would go to idle (1/9). Want heat, turn the switch on.

When both are at 9/9, you can't turn just the blower down. The programming on the chip makes the blower be equal to or higher than the heat range.

Eric

Eric,

Two questions:

Is it possible to just purchase a "down" button?

Is the 25-IP control panel identical? I have a 25-IP that i am currently not using. Can I just swap them?

Thanks,

Mike Bingham

Reactions: ericofmaine
Mike,

You can purchase just the button. Any electronics store should have one. The problem you might run into is that the button may be surface soldered to the board, making the "surgery" difficult. I had to replace an opto on my 25-PDV and had to be very delicate as to not lift the circuit traces when I removed and replaced.

As for the other board, it SHOULD be identical (would want to see a picture to make sure) but you'll need to swap the chip. Englander used different chips on the same board with all of the controls / timings / programming being handled there.

Good luck!

Eric

The certainty look the same. If I did swap them out will the location of the chip be obvious or is it a little trickier than that?

585109FE-73FA-4949-B3FB-361C284FB074.jpeg 88438019-5407-48B1-8F7B-ECF5B757858F.jpeg

It will be obvious. If my memory hasn't failed me, its the only chip on the board.

Eric

1948 Farmall Cub.

Eric