Englander 25 pvdc hooking up thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sperley03

Aug 18, 2014
Maine
Hello all
The wife and I recently inherited her great grandmother's house. For years she used a wood stove in combination with HWBB heat in an older farm house that has been updated. The wife doesn't want to burn wood so I bought a factory referb Englander 25 pvdc. I installed a new 6" thimble in masonry chimney and used a 6" to 3" stainless adapter with 2 adjustable 90* fittings and a 6" straight with the special stove adapter. Hooked up the OAK outside and sealed all of the pipe seams with high heat silicone. Oh, and I test fired the stove for 3hrs outside to burn off any paint. Stove seemed to run good on setting 5-5 and I turned it down to 2-2 after 2hrs.
Anyways, bought a programmable Honeywell thermostat to control the heat when I'm not around. I understand when the stat calls for heat it brings the stove up off of idle until it reaches called heat, then goes back to an idle. My question is does anyone know what prongs to use on thermostat, there is 8 of them and instructions don't help one bit. Guy at hardware store says its a millivolt setup and good for pellet stoves along with furnaces and heat pumps. I installed the wire (4 wire but only using 2) into the stove as directed but don't know what to use on the thermostat. See attached pictures and thanks for such a great forum. IMG_20140820_191933_956.jpgIMG_20140820_192054_113.jpgIMG_20140809_111346_572.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it is the r and w....
For a two wire system. (Red and white)

Dan

When the thermostat calls for heat, 2 of the wires will short together. Once the set temperature is reached, those 2 wires will open. If you have an ohmmeter, it should be a simple test to find the correct 2 wires to use.

The terminals with the jumper on them R or RC for one wire, the other one goes to the W terminal.
This looks like a "comfort stat" so it will more than likely have a temp swing of about 1/2 degree (stove will go from high fire to low fire about 5 times an hour). It will indicate on the package or install sheet if it is millivolt compatible. Good luck with the install.

Just as a thought some Braeburn thermostats have an adjustable temperature swing up to 2 degrees which might be desirable in an application like this.

Reactions: sperley03
Yes it does say millivolt on the package, and it has an adjustable temp swing up to 3 degree. I'll try hooking up the wires tonight and I'll let you know.

Sounds like a very nice t stat for the job. if you could share the model number that would be great.

set stove circuit board in diagnostic look for a dash above the blower speed controls, if the dash is there the circuit is closed, if it is not there its open

in essence the stat works in an open/closed circuit method so when the circuit is closed its calling for heat , when open its idling

here is a link to this test from my website http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/TstatTest_AutoIgnitePelletUnits.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.