englander 25 pvdc ignitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff colborn

Feb 6, 2010
kansas
skt
New issue with my 25 pvdc englander;
Shut stove down this morning early because we were going to be away all day. Came home to do a quick clean and restart. The ignitor was glowing even though the stove had been off all day. Unplugged the stove and did a hard reset, cleaned, filled and restarted the stove. Has anyone ever had the ignitor stay on after the stove was shut down?

I should add that this ignitor was replaced recently, the old one burnt out, maybe this has been happening before and I didn't know it.

sunflowersheepfarm said:
New issue with my 25 pvdc englander;
Shut stove down this morning early because we were going to be away all day. Came home to do a quick clean and restart. The ignitor was glowing even though the stove had been off all day. Unplugged the stove and did a hard reset, cleaned, filled and restarted the stove. Has anyone ever had the ignitor stay on after the stove was shut down?

I should add that this ignitor was replaced recently, the old one burnt out, maybe this has been happening before and I didn't know it.

That's a new one, and yes, if that's been doing it for a while, it would shorten it's life considerably. I never heard of one staying on even when the stove is off. I think a call to Englander tech support is in order Monday morning.

Thanks macman, hoped Mike might be on tonight, afraid it may be a board issue. this has been a great stove and I shouldn't complain if I have to buy a board, i've had this stove 5 years with minimal repairs, and honestlt till this year never had any need to seek out help. This forum is great and there is a wealth of information here.

when your old igniter died did the fuse in the circuit board blow? if so was the unit in startup? it sounds like the board was damaged when th eold igniter popped and fused the igniter circuit closed, if a hard reboot didnt change anything its probably 8 in 10 its a board

Thanks Mike,
Let the stove run out this morning on purpose. The stove was cool, fan and lower auger had coninued to run past the 1 hour shut down and ignitor was on. I have only ever blown 1 fuse in the life of this stove and that was before the ignitor failed.

New question: While I decide whether to repair this stove or replace it, how about unplugging the ignitor so I don't burn it out, starting the stove manually and unplugging it when I shut it down? Won't hurt anything will it?

Your right, it's not cost effective to just replace the stove. However this stove has seen 5 years service and i have just now started having to replace parts. (lower auger motor, ignitor ) This morning at Lowes they are closing out the same stove for $825.00. Had one floor model with damaged glass I got them down another $100.00 on. Thought about replacing it and using old one in my barn office. But probably will fix this one as is.
Thanks for all the imput

Status
Not open for further replies.