Englander 25 series Left Latch Loose on only some stoves! - Is there a fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Since turning to the left loosens a bolt on threads, the Left Latch on some Englander stoves keeps getting loose?

Has anyone seen this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Here is what I am trying on this one stove where just the left latch just keeps getting loose!

The star lock washer inn this case seems to have lost it's grip. (Pic 1)

Therefore I put in a very beefy C lock washer (Pic 2) so we will see what happens this year under normal use!

Attachments

• OEM-StarLockWasher.JPG
    OEM-StarLockWasher.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 138
  • NewC-LockWasher.JPG
    NewC-LockWasher.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I got a factory second 25-PDV from AMFM earlier this year. Got it installed a few weeks ago. I noticed the left latch isn't as tight as the right. When both sides are locked down you can push the left side down a bit, maybe 1/8" of movement. I'm familiar with this type of latch system, although it's been a few years, and it should be adjustable. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe tonight.

For the loosening bolts, would some Loc-tite work? (They have multiple types; not sure which one would be best.)

Scott

So I went to adjust my left side latch and found the nuts barely finger-tight. I adjusted them to where they needed to be for secure latching and cranked the nut down with a small ratchet. Also check the right side but found those nuts to be nice and tight. The lock washers were in good (new) condition as expected. So we'll see how they hold up.

Seeing there's at least a half inch exposed beneath the nut, you could put a second nut on there and tighten it against the first one. That should keep it from loosening.

BTW, Hi-temp Loctite Threadlocker only goes up to 450 degrees which should be okay for the hopper, right? http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797883170817 Not sure which "color" would work best; my guess is the blue would be fine.

Reactions: Don2222
So I went to adjust my left side latch and found the nuts barely finger-tight. I adjusted them to where they needed to be for secure latching and cranked the nut down with a small ratchet. Also check the right side but found those nuts to be nice and tight. The lock washers were in good (new) condition as expected. So we'll see how they hold up.

Seeing there's at least a half inch exposed beneath the nut, you could put a second nut on there and tighten it against the first one. That should keep it from loosening.

BTW, Hi-temp Loctite Threadlocker only goes up to 450 degrees which should be okay for the hopper, right? http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797883170817 Not sure which "color" would work best; my guess is the blue would be fine.

I will let you know how the heavier split lock washer works. I do like it better than the OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.