Englander 25PDV burning dirty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjggjm12

Dec 9, 2013
NH
Hi,
New to the forum here. I have an englander model 25PDV/55-SHP22, it is a 2001 model.
I can't seem to get it to burn clean. The burn pot fills up with pellets that eventually get pushed over the edge as hot embers. I have to vac the stove out every day or two or the burn pot gets clogged up and I get a lazy flame. Last year I had to clean the vent piping out halfway through winter because it was completely clogged with ash. I usually run the stove on 5 because if I go any higher it will clog faster. When I run it on a low speed it does not seem to feed enough. Should I hear the combustion fan speed up when I turn up the feed rate? Thanks in advance for any advice. I have been using "instant heat" and "green supreme" pellets.

When was the last time you did a deep clean? Internal exhaust pathways and venting should be cleaned out about every ton (3 -4 times a year depending on amount burned). How long is your exhaust run? If it has too many elbows and/or long lengths than you may need to have 4" instead of 3". Can do a search on pipe elevation to get many previous discussions on this. I'm sure others will chime in... The manuals for the Englanders are available on-line
http://englanderstoves.com/manuals/pre-04.25-PDV.pdf

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I did a deal clean in October. I took the stove outside, took of the combustion blower and vac'ed out everything. I also took all vent piping apart and cleaned it out. I have 1ft of horizontal pipe through wall, 90 up, 3ft vertical , 90 out, 1ft horizontal and the vent cap. I followed the diagram in the manual. Thanks for the reply.

I did a deal clean in October. I took the stove outside, took of the combustion blower and vac'ed out everything. I also took all vent piping apart and cleaned it out. I have 1ft of horizontal pipe through wall, 90 up, 3ft vertical , 90 out, 1ft horizontal and the vent cap. I followed the diagram in the manual. Thanks for the reply.

Did you use an air compressor or high powered vacuum device to get all of the ash in the stove's interior exhaust passages?

These end just prior to the combustion blower and start above the burn pot. Frequently these areas are missed by most people until the conditions you are describing start to happen or you start getting vacuum errors or failure to start errors. Have you ever tested your door gaskets (hopper as well as firebox) and latches or replaced your burn pot gasket?

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I had the same issue you are having. Start by doing a proper plates off brushing and vacuuming. Then take the whole stove outside and leaf blow the life out of every orifice!!!
Then call englander and get a complete gasket kit.
My issue was the ash tray not sealing well.
I also had a sealing issue with the hopper lid. Do yourself a favor and listen to the veterans that have chimed in. I did and my stove runs damn near flawlessly!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Did you use an air compressor or high powered vacuum device to get all of the ash in the stove's interior exhaust passages?
I did not use an air compressor, I blew it out with shop vac then vacuumed it out. I took the blower out and shoved the hose as far up the exhaust as I could. I will have to order the gasket kit, I'm sure none of them have e ever been changed. What about the combustion fan should I hear it speed up when I increase the feed rate.

I did not use an air compressor, I blew it out with shop vac then vacuumed it out. I took the blower out and shoved the hose as far up the exhaust as I could. I will have to order the gasket kit, I'm sure none of them have e ever been changed. What about the combustion fan should I hear it speed up when I increase the feed rate.

You might be able to, it will depend on the noise in the room and your hearing. Some people can, some can't however it is a very small range in any event.

It becomes critical to get the crud out of the passages as if it plugs up in certain places you can get a damaged firebox (warped or cracked) or the temperature sensor doesn't see the true temperatures as a result an undetected over limit situation can occur.

ETA: Hi Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.