englander 25pdv heats 2200 sqare foot what is low square footage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave64

Feb 11, 2011
N H
i searched and could not find a answer but the stove heats 2200 square foot whats the minimum square footage numbers

thanks

dave64 said:
i searched and could not find a answer but the stove heats 2200 square foot whats the minimum square footage numbers

thanks

The stove heats up to 2200 square feet (things like insulation, desired inside temperature, actual outside temperature, and air infiltration come into play), depending upon where it gets installed it may not be able to keep a 100 square foot area warm.

i know all that i am just looking for the rated min footage

Most stoves are around 8,000 BTU's- Plus/Minus. But if you hook it up to a thermostat, it will be 0. The stove will heat the area and shut down (no matter how small or large) then wait for the call for heat. All depends on where the thermostat is placed. The closer you place the thermostat to the unit, the higher the temp you have to set it for. (i.e.- stove room- Temp set for 78 - outlying rooms will be 74, bedrooms 69)

DexterDay said:
Most stoves are around 8,000 BTU's- Plus/Minus. But if you hook it up to a thermostat, it will be 0. The stove will heat the area and shut down (no matter how small or large) then wait for the call for heat. All depends on where the thermostat is placed. The closer you place the thermostat to the unit, the higher the temp you have to set it for. (i.e.- stove room- Temp set for 78 - outlying rooms will be 74, bedrooms 69)

so if i hooked up a t stat and if heat was not needed are you saying that the stove would shut down totally and then start up again when heat is needed

i know i am asking a lot but its the only way to learn

thanks

Does your stove have an ignitor? If it does and it has the ability to turn itself off... Then yes. Some stoves with ignitors can shut down when the call for heat is not needed and start back up when thermo calls for heat. Some just go to a Maintenance mode (stoves lowest setting, like a pilot) until there is a need for heat again. Then it turns back up to the setting you chose. And some can do both. Hi/Low or Auto/Off is the lingo. Going to Buy an Englander tomorrow myself. I am looking foward to it, only because of the wealth of knowledge. There are so many people and posts with Englander related questions. Mike Holton is an Englander tech, and also a member of this Forum. He is very busy this time of year, but because your stove title is in the thread. If he comes on, he is likely to chime in. Many other own this stove and can help you out more. But I know your stove can do one of the above, or possibly both.

For my location I would divide by 2.

I can think of situations where I would divide by 3.

YMMV

The 25-PDV does not have an auto-off/auto-on feature. When you have a thermostat on this stove, it will cycle between feed rate 1 and whatever higher feed rate you select (High/Low cycling). If I remember correctly, this stove puts out ~60,000 BTU/hr on 9 and about 20,000 BTU/hr on 1.

As others have mentioned before, the Sq Ft rating is really bogus and depends entirely on your situation. I am heating two floors of a 2500 sq ft house in 0 deg weather with no issues. We have a 30 yr old house with very good insulation. I am sure that there are other people who can't heat more than a room with the same stove. The same is true for the minimum rating. I am sure that there are some people that will be roasted out of their house even on the low setting.

The option, of course, is to turn off the stove when it is providing too much heat.

Good luck with it. The PDV is a very durable stove that really isn't pellet picky once it's properly dialed in. It probably requires a little extra tending than some of the other stove brands, but as a value, you can't beat it. I really recommend running it on a thermostat. We feel we get more comfortable heat off of the PDV than we do the oil furnace.

the stove is rated at UP TO 2200 sq ft, thats what teh figured best case scenario is running flat out.

the stove does work high / low with a stat even though its auto ignite.

the stoves low range is actually approx 10,700BTU.

we do not provide a minimum square footage rating, dont really ever get asked for it.

thanks everyone for all the answers

Status
Not open for further replies.