Englander 25pdv Lazy Flame, Pellet Build Up in Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'll send you a pic in the early AM.... I have 4 - 5/16 screws holding mine in place with a flat metal plate secure with 2 screws on top and bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll send you a pic in the early AM.... I have 4 - 5/16 screws holding mine in place with a flat metal plate secure with 2 screws on top and bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
a252a607ecddc7c1bd2910406251bd61.jpg

You're welcome and good night [emoji42]

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Ok, the new gaskets are on, but I think I might have run into the previous owners own little DIY job. I've never really taken note of how the glass was held in, but with the door out on the table it seemed obvious someone was there before me. For starters the gasket in the glass had no adhesive backing like the new Englander replacement I picked up today, and the only thing holding in the glass were these four little tabs I marked with the yellow arrows in the photo. When installing the glass with new gasket I realized that these tabs cannot be how Englander installed it... they barely apply any pressure to the gasket / glass and I will have some serious leaks. So I decided to sandwich some flat steel marked with red arrows in the photo between these tabs and the gasket / glass. It is pretty tight now, and pretty sure it's not going to leak.

Question is, what does the factory setup from Englander look like? Can I order it?

Could someone please post a pic of how their glass is held in on a 25-PDV?

Door is back on, and I will be eagerly waiting to test this thing out!

There is supposed to be some clearance in regards to the metal holding the glass in place to allow for expansion. If you make things too tight you risk cracking your glass when the stove heats up/cools down. I made this mistake this fall with my wood stove. You want the glass to be barely snug, with the excess play taken up by the gasket which will compress but still allow the glass to expand without putting too much stress on it and breaking it. That glass is expensive to replace too.

I would wait before you fire up the stove hopefully others on here can read this and chime in with advice.

There is supposed to be some clearance in regards to the metal holding the glass in place to allow for expansion. If you make things too tight you risk cracking your glass when the stove heats up/cools down. I made this mistake this fall with my wood stove. You want the glass to be barely snug, with the excess play taken up by the gasket which will compress but still allow the glass to expand without putting too much stress on it and breaking it. That glass is expensive to replace too.

I would wait before you fire up the stove hopefully others on here can read this and chime in with advice.
I agree! The OEM gasket from Englander provides the cushion on between the metal plate and glass! I would think he could slice some of the leftover gasket and place under the top and bottom plate?? Food for thought.....

I agree! The OEM gasket from Englander provides the cushion on between the metal plate and glass! I would think he could slice some of the leftover gasket and place under the top and bottom plate?? Food for thought.....

Reading the replied I realize I have the glass way to tight. My subconscious is telling me to seal any potential leaks. Took the door off just now and used a larger piece of flat steel similar to the factory one in the pics, and added a piece of the glass seal to the top of it to help snug down the glass. If I just use the metal the glass has about a 1/16" of play when I move it. I won't tighten it all the way, just snug it in.

This is the correct part number seal, and it is pretty much flush with the steel when glass is installed. Going to call Englander in Monday to see if I can order the parts, but I need to get work done on the shop and use the stove till then.

Attached is a pic of the new setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 241
Reading the replied I realize I have the glass way to tight. My subconscious is telling me to seal any potential leaks. Took the door off just now and used a larger piece of flat steel similar to the factory one in the pics, and added a piece of the glass seal to the top of it to help snug down the glass. If I just use the metal the glass has about a 1/16" of play when I move it. I won't tighten it all the way, just snug it in.

This is the correct part number seal, and it is pretty much flush with the steel when glass is installed. Going to call Englander in Monday to see if I can order the parts, but I need to get work done on the shop and use the stove till then.

Looks like a good fabrication! Good luck and let me know how it burns! I'll send some of my Street Glide parts to you to get coated once the garage is warmer LOL!!

That looks like you should be ok. The gasket material is holding the glass snug but can compress when the glass and the metal parts expand.

Looks like a good fabrication! Good luck and let me know how it burns! I'll send some of my Street Glide parts to you to get coated once the garage is warmer LOL!!

I just turned it on, just to suck some air, checked the outside air vent and it seemed like it was drawing in more air.

The Powdercoat biz is not my full time gig (yet) but I'm working in it... Check out some of my work www.mw3designs.com

I just turned it on, just to suck some air, checked the outside air vent and it seemed like it was drawing in more air.

The Powdercoat biz is not my full time gig (yet) but I'm working in it... Check out some of my work www.mw3designs.com
So are ya burning or it was just an air test ride [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

If you lived around here you would have as much work as you wanted. Having someone to bring items to to get sandblasted and powder coated is hard to find in these parts.

Just did the first burn since I changed the gaskets, and I'm going to say that the flame didn't change much. I might have been wishful thinking when I thought the air vent was sucking more air.

So know what's the plan? Still on the 6-4-1 setup, but I'm just wondering if this old stove needs a heart transplant. Looking online for combustion blowers now.....

Just did the first burn since I changed the gaskets, and I'm going to say that the flame didn't change much. I might have been wishful thinking when I thought the air vent was sucking more air.

So know what's the plan? Still on the 6-4-1 setup, but I'm just wondering if this old stove needs a heart transplant. Looking online for combustion blowers

How about you unhook the OAK at the stove and see if there's a difference. Is there a specific reason you're leaning towards the combustion fan?

Last edited:
I just added the OAK a few weeks ago, I got a bigger exhaust fan for my spray booth, and I didn't want to rob the stove of air.

As for venting it looks almost identical to this picture minus the length of pipe on top between the elbow and the cap.

e7b9be0b13a25b57b7095822ad7ae455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just added the OAK a few weeks ago, I got a bigger exhaust fan for my spray booth, and I didn't want to rob the stove of air.

As for venting it looks almost identical to this picture minus the length of pipe on top between the elbow and the cap.

View attachment 189409

Hmmmmm. Are the 2 bolts under the door lip tight? If not tighten, but snug don't crank down! This may sound ridiculous, but at this point it doesn't matter... Does your exhaust blower sound like it has in the past and is it original? A little 3-1 oil on the center silver shaft can't hurt. You can always remove the fan to clean and inspect, but you'll need a new gasket to reinstall. I believe we've hit all the major areas and my last ditch effort is for you to call Englander. Their tech support is great and your unit doesn't need to be under warranty.

So know what's the plan? Still on the 6-4-1 setup, but I'm just wondering if this old stove needs a heart transplant. Looking online for combustion blowers now.....

Sounds like 6 might be too high for the pellets you are using. On my stove (englander too) I had the feed at 5 for some hardwood pellets I had and it worked great, but when I switched to some softwood ones that were average much shorter in length I had to turn it down to 3 or I would get an overflowing burn pot at startup and huge flames even well after startup even after just cleaning the stove. Also a very rich burn and dirty glass. My combustion blower is currently at 4 too. I could have turned the combustion blower up instead of slacking the pellet feed but that would not sort the overflowing burnpot at startup and also waste pellets. I run the stove on heat level 7 as I prefer shorter hotter fires.

Try turning it down to 4 and see how that turns out. If that sorts it you could try going back up to 5 if you feel you need more heat and I would then then raise the blower to 5 as well. Sounds to me as you are using this in a shop you are trying to get more heat than I would here heating a small house.

These englander stoves seem to vary significantly in performance in regards to what pellets you use and I find with mine when I start using different ones I have to make adjustments.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjones139
The flame didn't change any...

Thst is the same slightly smokey huge flame I was getting when I switched to different pellets. I corrected it by raising my combustion blower speed from 4 to 5 and lowering my feed rate from 5 to 3. I then had a bright active flame and still plenty of heat. The door also stayed clean.

Reactions: jjones139
Thst is the same slightly smokey huge flame I was getting when I switched to different pellets. I corrected it by raising my combustion blower speed from 4 to 5 and lowering my feed rate from 5 to 3. I then had a bright active flame and still plenty of heat. The door also stayed clean.
You're spot on with your comment! My pdv runs perfect, but my pdvc has been a slight headache now for months! I just installed it last January and being here in the Hudson Valley of New York we really did not have a winter last season so I did not burn it that much and when I did burn I was totally disgusted with the black soot and the performance of the stove itself. After finding out and doing some heavy research with the help of a few on this site and reading through the blogs I determined that my Straight Out vent wasn't good enough for a basement install and once I installed a 3 foot vertical rise, played with my lower settings and change my door and glass gasket things got much better. I am still trying to fine tune that stove and I must tell you that I am going crazy because I look at my stove upstairs and say why can't you be like that??? After speaking to Englander probably 30 times since I installed back in January I honestly believe that my stove was a lemon from the beginning since we have replaced just about every part. Nonetheless I keep moving forward and hoping that things will continue to improve. Oh and I completely forgot to mention... Pellet brands do matter!

Are you referring to the 6-4-1 setting?

That would be a 5-3-1

I have inboxed you or private message you my cell phone number so call me

That would be a 5-3-1

No, 3-5-1

3 being the feed rate, the 5 is the combustion blower speed and the 1 is for convection blower delay which always should be 1

the lower the number the lower the air flow or fuel feed

No, 3-5-1

3 being the feed rate, the 5 is the combustion blower speed and the 1 is for convection blower delay which always should be 1

the lower the number the lower the air flow or fuel feed

3-5-1 that's what I meant to type, but my brain seems to keep things in order.

I made the change about 10min ago.

3-5-1 that's what I meant to type, but my brain seems to keep things in order.

I made the change about 10min ago.

It's going to take you at least an hour or a little less to notice any change. My number is in your private message if you want to call.