Englander 25pdv question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainer63

Oct 30, 2007
Winterport Maine
I recently purchased a used Englander 25pdv built in 2001 and was wondering how loud the combustion blower should be compared to other pellet stoves. It is located in the living room and the tv has to be turned up a bit when the stove is running and I have to keep the convection blower down to 3. Any higher and it's too loud.

Hey there...

I have the same model, built in 2006.

The combustion blower on mine isn't really that loud, but it's not quiet, either. I'd say it's about as loud as running the room blower on 2 or 3.

I need to turn the TV up quite a bit with the stove running and the room blower on 3 - sounds to me like your fans are running normally...but I'm no expert :)

Combustion blower noise/short life is my biggest complaint with my 25 PDVC. I can't get more than a seasons use before it starts squealing.

Even a brand new combustion blower is loud, IMO. And for the price of the replacement, I expect better quality.

I emailed Mike from Englander about this problem last year but never got a reply.

I think I'm going to replace it with a Harmon Accentra. Hopefully, it will be a quieter stove and I'll get some modern day features such as auto-ignite and automatic temp control.

I'd go around and make the dealers fire up show room models if your choosing on noise level. Harmans are fairly loud too.

Dougsey said:
Combustion blower noise/short life is my biggest complaint with my 25 PDVC. I can't get more than a seasons use before it starts squealing.

Even a brand new combustion blower is loud, IMO. And for the price of the replacement, I expect better quality.

I emailed Mike from Englander about this problem last year but never got a reply.

I think I'm going to replace it with a Harmon Accentra. Hopefully, it will be a quieter stove and I'll get some modern day features such as auto-ignite and automatic temp control.

did you e mail me directly? or through the "contact us" on the website? can you give me a rough idea about when it was last year? generally all e mails get answered , even if its a "call me so we can chat about it" if an easy "do this" answer isnt available. going just a season and having a combustion blower die is abnormal, somthing else is going on try e mailing me at [email protected] thats straight to my computer at work , goes around all the spam blockers (which means i get to see about a thousand ways to make my... well, i get a lot of junk mail) but it means the spam blocker doesnt intercept mail i should get

Shane said:
I'd go around and make the dealers fire up show room models if your choosing on noise level. Harmans are fairly loud too.
Yes even the Harmans are noisey, but the accentra has a rocker switch behind the control board that will cut the voltage and speed (thus noise) down even lower so make sure you find this switch and put it in both posistions to get a true idea of the sound..
I'm sure Mike will fix you up though..

Thanks for the reply Mike, an email has been sent.

The Enviro's have an option to mount the combustion blower in a small box on the outside of the house... sounds like a great idea for a quiet install. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks everyone for all your replies. A little history on this stove. I have been thinking about buying a pellet stove for about 2 years but held off because I wasn't sure about spending $2000-$3000 or more to find out I didn't like the noise and upkeep associated with them. I came across this stove in an ad in my area for $50.00. I checked it out and the owner said he bought it new in 2001 and ran it for 2 years and then said the lower auger motor quit. He purchased a new motor from ESW and that one didn't work either so he took the stove out and bought a new one. He stored the stove in his garage for 4 years and then decided to sell it. I bought it and took it home and went to work on it. I discovered that the lower auger was out of alignment and stuck on a pellet. I went out on the ESW web site and downloaded the auger alignment instructions and realigned it. It turns out that the old motor as well as the new one work fine,apparently he didn't leave it running long enough to burn them out so I have a spare motor.The stove seems to be in great shape and it's installed and running. It hasn't been cold enough up here in Maine to see how it's going to heat in really cold weather yet. It turns out that that the pellet stove pipe cost me more than the stove did. I am not new to wood burning but was getting tired of cutting and splitting and storing wood. Pellets seem to be the way to go for me especally since there is a new pellet manufacturer about 10 miles away.

Thoroughly examine the auger tube. Make sure is very clean. Also make sure the auger is not bent and can rotate freely in the auger tube.

Thanks BeGreen. I did pull both augers and thoroughly cleaned the tubes,augers and everything else in the stove. The stuck auger wasn't stuck all that bad,but enough so the motor would not turn it, but turning it back and forth with the motor off from the auger freed it. As i said it appered that a pellet got jammed under the auger probably because of misalignment.

i suspect the pellet just happened to be there , the misalignment was the major problem , the motor has to work too hard if the auger is dragging in the tube, this overheats the motor and eventually will wear it out. biggest thing to remember with apellet stove , if ts making a noise that it normally doesnt make , there is a reason for it, and some of those reasons aint good. if you hear odd noises persisting from a pellet stove , shut it down and investigate , a simple fix or a little cleaning in the right spot can save some bucks. ignoring it hoping it will go away can be expensive as the noise when it does go away may be because it just killed a motor.

Dougsey said:
Thanks for the reply Mike, an email has been sent.

The Enviro's have an option to mount the combustion blower in a small box on the outside of the house... sounds like a great idea for a quiet install. Does anyone have any experience with those?

doug , i got your e mail and responded, look forward to chatting with you and resolving your issue

Status
Not open for further replies.