Englander 25PDVC/55 SHP10 Fan noise/whistle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i figured out a few things about the noise... before i go to bed at night is usualy when i hear it the loudest... i found out that when i turn off the space heater (radiant one that my dog sits in front of) the noise starts up... if i turn it on the noise goes away and so on. by the next morning the noise is gone... the space heater or other loads need to be on for a while and then when you turn them off the noise starts up aagain.

i have been checking the voltage at my outlets thinking that has something to do with it... i found this... stove running with nothing else on the voltage is 118-119 with no noise. when i turn on tv/space heater/lights voltgae drops down to 114-116. this is where i get confused. after a while the voltage creeps back up to the 118 aera and when i turn off all the other loads voltage goes to 120-122 at the outles and stays there. this is when the noise is being made and it will go away after about an hour or so when voltage creeps down to the 119 mark.

im really confused as to why voltage seems to "spike" for such along time. also if i put in a new motor as i have done before the noise is gone for a few weeks completely. so i dont know if the higher voltage is just bring out the bad motor/stove noise or it is causing it entirely.

im going to check the voltage on both the main leads of the house and if one or both are too high call m y elec company and see if they can adjust it lower at the pole as i have heard they can. i have heard 108-120 is normal voltage to be seeing tho. im currious to see if your voltage varrys as mine does.

I had the same problem and I took the whole stove apart when I put it back together I changed the design of how my flew pipe went it was a T that was closed on one end that was right on the stove then 5 feet of straight pipe then a 90 right to the chimney I put a piece in between the stove and the T and the sound is gone and believe me it was loud only on setting 3 threw 6 some times 7 .... try changing the flew pipe a little Hope that helps Merry Christmas to all !! the way I had it set made it a siren type noise it is now quiet on all settings

Read all these posts on this issue, and I'm not a mechanic by any means. But the one question I was curious about, do you guys have an Outside Air Kit installed on these stoves? OAK's I would think help keep the air flows smooth, and it seems if you didn't have one installed, and you live in a "tight" home, it might make an issue with flow of air from the stove? Pressure differentials and such? curious. :)

Stihl said:
Read all these posts on this issue, and I'm not a mechanic by any means. But the one question I was curious about, do you guys have an Outside Air Kit installed on these stoves? OAK's I would think help keep the air flows smooth, and it seems if you didn't have one installed, and you live in a "tight" home, it might make an issue with flow of air from the stove? Pressure differentials and such? curious. :)

Yes I do. Thoes feed air to the exhaust blower. We have noises from the room air blower

I really think its a fasco motor issue. Either that or their is a internal piece of metel that is acting like a reed in a clarinet at certain RPM's. I doubt its the later. most probably a Fasco issue. Englander really needs to look into this

rad said:
I really think its a fasco motor issue. Either that or their is a internal piece of metel that is acting like a reed in a clarinet at certain RPM's. I doubt its the later. most probably a Fasco issue. Englander really needs to look into this

have you had any contact with englander? i still have not had a reply to my email from about a month ago. i also sent mike holton an email to the address in his signature with no reply. i plan on trying to call again but i just hate waiting on hold while im at work.

negative on getting through to them. Ive spent long times on hold. I know its there busy season. Mike Holton is aware of the issue and I have spoken to him in the past about it. There answer is to just send you another motor. Once again I think it might be a Fasco Issue.

hnkstang50 said:
i foudn out last nite that if i sit on the front of my stove when its making the noise the noise seems to completly stop?

Old thread that I just came across, and wondered if it ever got resolved.

Sitting on the stove may move it slightly, stopping the noise. It could be the door gasket, the exhaust piping, or something else that gets flexed slightly with your weight on the stove.

Just curious, and had to add my 2¢.

heat seeker said:
hnkstang50 said:
i foudn out last nite that if i sit on the front of my stove when its making the noise the noise seems to completly stop?

Old thread that I just came across, and wondered if it ever got resolved.

Sitting on the stove may move it slightly, stopping the noise. It could be the door gasket, the exhaust piping, or something else that gets flexed slightly with your weight on the stove.

Just curious, and had to add my 2¢.

are you having the same issue? i can point you to the right ppl to complaint to. last i was in contact with englander it was not a known isssue. i have told at least 4 other ppl with my same stove and issues to call englander and fasco with there issue.

as far as a fix yes. i fixed my stove by sealing up a hot air leak that was blowing on the room air blower over heating it. the air was leaking past the auger slide tube due to missing welds or silicone sealer. then added some heat shielding to block more heat from the blower. blower temps before my fixes were 150 plus. now they are 118 or below. so basicly the bearings were getting damaged from overheating. i have another thread that i created on this same issue....

Thanks, but I'm not having the problem, just wondering what the resolution was. Glad you got it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.