englander 25pdvc auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobswworld

Apr 29, 2008
western virginia
Hello,
finally got cold enough to fire up stove for the first time, do not really need the heat now just wanted to do first burn when it was not so hot.
Well when I installed it and did the first dry run everything worked good, so finished the install and forgot about it.
Now I went to start it up by hitting the start button and noticed the bottom auger not turning, let it go for a few minutes and nothing, the igniter was glowing and so on but no auger. Read the troubleshooting guide online and it said if the motor was hot but the auger not turning then the motor was bad. I do not think it is jammed cause I can move the motor up and down a little and the auger turns in the barrel. But the motor is kinda hot.
Any ideas?
felt bad here cause the stove is new and never burned, never thought this would happen.
thanks in advance

I guess first things first.... did you make sure one of the wires didn't come off the motor after moving the stove around?

May be a stupid question but is the door closed? Pipe plugged? There are vaccum switches on the stoves and the firebox must be under a negative air pressure to allow the augers to turn. You can turn the stove on and tap the round(usually black) disc shaped switches in the "guts" of the stove. It may just be stuck in the open position.

If you turned the auger with the motor off then the motor is most likely bad. You can test the auger motor, wiring and board in this way. Switch the wires on the auger motors with each other and if the top auger turns then the wires and board are good. and the motor is probably bad.

Where's Mike? Try Rap's suggestion and if the bottom auger still doesn't work pull it. I'm thinking that this could be as simple as the connection between the auger and the motor being loose. Don't hesitate to call tech support as they are very helpful and they actually speak English! :)

switch the motors out. They are the same. If the bottom turns and not the top it is the motor.

If the top turns and not the bottom pull the auger out and check the bearing block.

It is free reinstall the auger and make sure it turns before installing the motor.

something could have fallen into the hopper when you loaded it and made it past the top auger and got jammed in the bottom auger. pain in the butt but have to unload pellets and take bottom auger out.Best thing to do is call the 800 number they will help you.There is a diagnostic mode you can use but must unload the stove first.

Thanks all,
will try these things today to see, called the 800 number and the day was over. If the motor is bad is it covered under the warranty? will have to look and see
since it is a do it yourself stove company it should be no problem checking into things right? or should I wait until I can call them?
I am hoping for the jammed idea because I have never even fired this stove yet only the 20 minute dry run

bobswworld said:
Thanks all,
will try these things today to see, called the 800 number and the day was over. If the motor is bad is it covered under the warranty? will have to look and see
since it is a do it yourself stove company it should be no problem checking into things right? or should I wait until I can call them?
I am hoping for the jammed idea because I have never even fired this stove yet only the 20 minute dry run

There is a one year warranty on all electrical parts. You can certainly do some preliminary troubleshooting before calling, it'll save some phone time. I hope it's a jam too.

Good luck

Hi all,
just sent an email with all required info to Englands begging for warranty cause nothing is jammed and the motor gets warm/hot and it does not turn. it has power so guess it needs a new motor, strange cause it only ran its dry run and it worked good then back in may. Makes me wonder what my life with this stove will be like. Anybody else have these problems?

Update,

after sending an email with all necessary info, England's Stove Works responded the next day with a simple "one is on the way".
Tuesday the new motor shows up and I install it and all is good now.
Can't beat this warranty
thanks everyone

Glad you got it working again....Englander is obviously a great company to deal with, and stands behind their products 100%....

Status
Not open for further replies.