Englander 25PDVC Maintenance ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all, I have been doing some annual cleaning on my pellet stove. I removed the combustion exhaust blower and now I need a new gasket. I just wanted to know if i could you a High Temp Silicone instead? The reason I was asking is because when I removed the blower motor the gasket was in pieces before I even touch it. I was thinking the high temp silicone would make a better seal. What does everyone think? thanks Fespo

fespo said:
Hello all, I have been doing some annual cleaning on my pellet stove. I removed the combustion exhaust blower and now I need a new gasket. I just wanted to know if i could you a High Temp Silicone instead? The reason I was asking is because when I removed the blower motor the gasket was in pieces before I even touch it. I was thinking the high temp silicone would make a better seal. What does everyone think? thanks Fespo

What I think is that you will need a jack hammer to get it off the next time and it will be a pain in the butt to clean all the residual silicone off the surfaces.

And ya gotta get it all off because new silicone won't stick to old silicone.

fespo said:

Go to their website and order the new gasket, while your at it order 2 or 3 of them, them are fairly cheap and you will have them for next years annual cleaning. I recieved mine within a week of ordering. Also order a burnpot gasket, as you should remove the entire burnpot to clean it out completly. Hope this helps.

that type of gasket , though it doesnt leak as long as its installed (at least i havent seen them that have) is a "one time use" gasket and when you take the blower off it tends to stick to both surfaces. the same thing that makes it a good sealer is its own worst enemy when the seal is broken. i would echo the response above about the burn pot as well, same gasket material and puling it does help with clearing the air chambers on the sides of the pot , this will help with your combustion quite a bit. it should be noted that keeping the underneath holes for those chambers clear during season is important to get a cleaner burn as well. i use a funnel shaped attachment for my vac that i modefied by adding a short length of garden hose to it and taping the two together. it makes a very effective cleaning tool for the tight places that a normal vac hose is too cumbersome to reach effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.