englander 25pvd troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremygrimm

Dec 16, 2014
Malvern, ohio
Hello. I got an englander pellet stove model 25-pvd/55-shp22. When I got it I was told the control board was oUt. Going through everything and checking everything and cleaning it the control board is the only thing not working..

I ordered a new control board. Got it, put it in and had some trouble. 1st it wasn't working at all. I jumpered the vac switch (this model doesn't have one) and we were off. Everything seems to work on a dry run. The only thing was once I set the heat and blower settings after about 20 seconds the led display switched to a 5 on the heat and it appears the letter u on the blower settings. I can still adjust things but it keeps popping up that 5u..

So dry run it all worked. I decided to light it.. it runs for 20 minutes and the led display screen goes blank and the exhaust blower shuts off. I have to turn it off and turn it back on to keep the blower running every 20 minutes or I'll fill my house with smoke.

Please help

Would venting do this?;

Or could it be a setting on the new controller.

Please help me.

That 5u you speak of is "Start Up" it takes about 20 minutes on that display and then it will go to the settings you punched in...set your feed on 6 and blower to 9...see if it will hold those settings...then adjust it to whatever you like....up or down on the feed. I leave my blower on 9 for all feed settings.

The display is blank when the stove is running other than a green light over the "on" button.

Yeah. It's not. After startup is over the led display goes blank and the exhaust blower shuts off. My exhaust vent outside is maybe 3 inches above my intake vent. I'm thinking of going up another 6 feet or so outside.

I'm heading to work now so I will check it tomorrow and let you know if that helped. that's the only issue I can think of why the exhaust blower would shut down.

I'll try the board reset and go to 6-4-1.. I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I don't know why after start up the led display goes blank and shuts the exhaust off so smoke comes into the house.

Jumpering switches is OK for diagnosing but not for operating. That model shows 2 vacuum switches in the manual.

My guess is the thermal sensor is shutting the unit down after 20 mins, because no proof of fire has been met, check it's position and wire ( I believe it is a larger white one)

Smoke in the house! Something in the venting isn't right..Do you have a 3 ft rise, do you have a OAK connected?

I strongly urge you to read this manual for the stove(I'm assuming you got it used without one) before continuing:http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/25-PDVEand25-PDV.pdf Good Luck

Oak is connected.. I get smoke in he house when exhaust blower shuts off. That's the only time. The exhaust blower shuts off after 20 minutes. No air is getting to fire so the fire starts to go out and it starts smokIng. I'm guessing because my oak and my exhaust is so close to the same height. I just got back and hooked up an additional 6 foot on the chimney. That will make the chimney about 6 foot higher than the oak Instead of same height. Hopefully that helps. I will find out tomorrow And let everyone know.

Also. When the led goes blank, the green on light is still lit and the augers are turning.

The augers may be turning, but is it feeding pellets to the burn pot ? The augers need to be primed (full of pellets) to keep the burn cycle going. The LED lights are off during normal operation. They only display when you input a change and then go out again. The green light is always on during normal operation.

Reset the board and try to get it going. There are alot of smart 25 pdv operators on this forum that will help ya out.

The oak inlet is WAY too close to the exhaust, but won't cause the problems you have at the moment.

Oh. And on this model the vac switch isnt there. The old board had it jumpered also. This is a 2001 model. It uses the pucb98 board but I got the pucb04 as replacement cause they discontinued the pucb98.

Combustion blower runs continuously when the on button is pushed. The convection (room blower) will turn on when the stove is up to temp. I have no idea as to what the factory preset temp is.

Reactions: jeremygrimm
Oh. And on this model the vac switch isnt there. The old board had it jumpered also. This is a 2001 model. It uses the pucb98 board but I got the pucb04 as replacement cause they discontinued the pucb98.

That's way above my pay grade..lol, but someone on here will know.

Thanks for your input. Before I do anything iM going to break down and do a detailed cleaning on both the room blower and the exhaust blower. When I went out today to hook up the chimney extention I seen soot all over the ground by the exhaust. I'm assuming the exhaust blower is full of ash and that is possibly a reason it's shutting down. There must be ash inside the exhaust blower unit causing it to overheat and the board says shut it down After start up. Ill work on that tomorrow...

I'm an industrial electrician by trade if that helps. I have all the tools I need to check motors which is why I stated the motors were good. But perhaps the blower is clogged enough to tell the board to shut it down.

Mike at englander just called and I'm sure I will fix it correctly. The pucb04 has 2 additional terminals than the pucb98. The 2 additional terminals are for an igniter. I don't have an igniter so I have to hook it up differently. I'll let you all know tomorrow whit the results I get.

Clad master you were 100% correct on my wiring being messed up. I had it hooked up to terminals 12346789 not 12345678. Those rascals moved a terminal on me and I didn't look close enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-20-16-17-00.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-20-16-17-00.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 268
I'm disappointed with the heat. Is the blower suppose to put heat out of the top and out of the louvers or just out of the top. I'm not getting heat blowing out of the side louvers. I just don't see how this thing heats 2200 sqft.

What heat setting do you have it on ?

Heat setting 9 is the high heat.

What brand of pellets are you feeding the stove ?

Good to hear ya got things sorted out.

Your going to need a few spares as the Englander will break down on a friggin cold night.

Pick up a spare auger motor as well as a blower motor and a tube of high temp rtv . Nothing worse than R&R and the gasket is shot. Takes a little more effort to scrape off the old rtv, but then you just put on a new bead. Also works well on the burn pot.

Try to source out some good softwood pellets and get that stove into "C Mode" for some serious heat output. She'll eat more pellets but really holds the room at temp.!!!

Rarely do I have to run the stove above a 5-9 setting with good softwood pellets (La Crete)

Thanks for the tips. I defiantly need to order all new seals. It's running like a champ but after about 10 hours in I'm noticing a small tapping souND Evers maybe 2 seconds. I don't know if it's the top or bottom auger but I will defiantly get spare parts.. this seems to be a pretty simple design and looks very easy to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.