Englander 28-3500 add-on burners-wood usage this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Just curious to see given these temperatures where folks burning an Englander add-on are at this year with wood consumption. Next year will be my first winter burning mine and I've got 3 cords collected so far this year. My house is a 1200 SF ranch that I would rate as reasonably well insulated. However, I plan to also add heat to the attached garage which would add another 350 square feet. The garage is insulated, but the ceilings are about 10' 6" (the rest of the house is 8')-in any event this brings the total square footage to approximately 1550. I'm in Northwest New Jersey so we typically see colder temperatures than the rest of the state.

i run through about 10 cords a year with 2600 sq ft do you know what the btu rating is on the new englander?

smokinj said:
i run through about 10 cords a year with 2600 sq ft do you know what the btu rating is on the new englander?

I looked through the manual but there's no BTU rating-just that it's rated for up to 3000 SF when fed through existing ductwork. 10 cords a year is a lot of wood! How well insulated is your house?

Badfish740 said:
smokinj said:

I looked through the manual but there's no BTU rating-just that it's rated for up to 3000 SF when fed through existing ductwork. 10 cords a year is a lot of wood! How well insulated is your house?
very well insulated i burn 24/7 from nov. to april I dont think thats bad highist gas bill so far 28 bucks and 2600 sq ft in the middle of a sod farm no wind blocks at all

I have this furnace and I am going through wood more than I would have hoped for. I guess I have burned about 3 cords so far and am down to about a half a cord left. I still have the farmer who has pity on my ole butt and lets me have oak that is seasoned for 2 years at $40 a truck load.

My house is a log home that is around 1700 sf. and this house with new windows is not energy efficient in my book. I will have enough wood next year or I will move. :lol:

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I have this furnace and I am going through wood more than I would have hoped for. I guess I have burned about 3 cords so far and am down to about a half a cord left. I still have the farmer who has pity on my ole butt and lets me have oak that is seasoned for 2 years at $40 a truck load.

My house is a log home that is around 1700 sf. and this house with new windows is not energy efficient in my book. I will have enough wood next year or I will move. :lol:

Shipper
i would be tickled pink if only use 3 cords so far!(its been real cold)

Five cord and counting. My Englander is the ONLY source of heat for my house. Had the oil unhooked when it was over four dollars a gal. On demand gas in its place.

smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
Since your about what 75 miles northeast of me I guess you should use more wood. I was just guessing on my use. I know the hickory I cut, split, stacked in Aug. is not lasting what I had hoped for. Might be done with it in 2-3 weeks at the rate I am going.

I am using the wood furnace as my only source of heat, but I do have the electric furnace in case I run totally out of wood. But with my house it has been as cold as 59 in the mornings even with my furnace and insert being loaded full before bed.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
Since your about what 75 miles northeast of me I guess you should use more wood. I was just guessing on my use. I know the hickory I cut, split, stacked in Aug. is not lasting what I had hoped for. Might be done with it in 2-3 weeks at the rate I am going.

I am using the wood furnace as my only source of heat, but I do have the electric furnace in case I run totally out of wood. But with my house it has been as cold as 59 in the mornings even with my furnace and insert being loaded full before bed.

Shipper
at least 75 miles always watching the weater seems to run 5-10 degrees warmer where you are my uncle lives in bedford and it takes about 2 1/2 hrs. to drive it

Sounds like I better get busy! I just want to make sure that I'm two years ahead by next year.

I'm using a 30NCP and an ESW Add-on to keep my very, very drafty, 2,400 sq-ft house toasty warm. I've burnt somewhere between 4 and 5 cords so far (all red maple).

I've also used well over a hundred gallons of water trying to keep my humidity level at or above 30%, which is my biggest grievance with this drafty house.

Status
Not open for further replies.