Englander 28-3500 Hot Air Hook Up Thru Attic Question!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotivatedMama

Nov 18, 2009
Western Ky.
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Our home is about 2400 sq. ft. single story.

We have decided to buy the 28-3500 wood furnace but, our main trunk line is in the attic. Also, the location of our current wood stove, (and the location where the 28-3500 will be installed) isn't central, especially in relation to the main unit in the attic. Also, we do not intend to use the furnace in the attic in conjunction with the 28-3500, it has been disabled.

1) What gauge steel pipe will be required to make the connection to the trunk in the attic?

2) Should we tie the hot air pipe into the closest trunk line? (about 4') the result of which will be the introduction of heat into the ductwork at the west end of the house or...

3) Should we extend the hot air pipe to feed into the trunk further in (about 6') to introduce the heat closer to the center of our ductwork?

4) How would the extended hot air pipe affect draft etc? Is it best to go with the shorter connection as the manual says?

5) Will the blower be strong enough to force the heat to the furthest extremities of the house even if not tied into the very center?

This pic shows the relation of our stove pipe to the very end of the main trunk at the west end of the house. We assume there will be two bends in order to attach the hot air pipe thru the top of the trunk.
The main furnace unit is to the right out of frame. We figure it would take about 6' of pipe on a diagonal to make the connection to a more central part of the trunk, closer to the main unit.

Attachments

• DSCF4268.jpeg
    DSCF4268.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 314
Ugh! Upon really examining the pic, it occurred to me that the hot air line may run smack into that rafter! Does anyone know how many inches there are between the flue and hot air hook up on the 28-3500?

Thank you!
Home Depot doesn't have any in stock to measure and no one is answering at the Englander support line, which I must say has me antsy. I have read glowing reports about their customer service yet I make 5 calls, sitting on hold for what probably totaled an hour and send an email and I get nada? Not good.
Now back up to the attic to measure : ) Thanks again!

I am also not having good luck contacting Englander for customer support. I have e-mailed them my questions, wiht pictures and called and got no response either way.

Not sure what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.