Englander 28-3500 vs. Drolet Tundra (first gen)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerkzack

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
I found this Tundra about 9 hours away, it looks to be in "well-used" condition, MFG date of 2013. I know early Tundra's were prone to cracking around the doors.
Tundra.jpg

I've done a bunch of research on both models, and I think I know which one I would choose, but I'd like to hear public opinion between these two add-on furnaces. If you were to buy one on the used market, which would you buy?

Woof...that thing looks rode hard and put away wet! The cracks can be fixed by a competent welder (not that they even have to be fixed) the only other issue is that they have a tendency to rust out on the bottom of the center HX tube, at the back, right behind the firebox, and before it goes through the outer sheet metal...that can be fixed with either a piece of SS single wall stove pipe and a large SS hose clamp for a wrap/patch (and some furnace cement to seal it all up) or a 6" SS exhaust clamp (like used on semi trucks) after all that the Tundra will probably be the cleaner burning furnace of the 2...but if that is of no issue to you those 28-3500 have a reputation of being solid lil heaters...I guess for me I would have to weigh which one is closer, price, etc, etc...