Englander 30 alternate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I am looking to replace my old fisher insert with a new stove. Englander 30 is the perfect match except for the flue collar being on the top. I really want a rear exit flue. Is there a comparable stove on the market with a rear exit flue. I have seen some but I'm not sure of the quality and I know the power that is in the englander my buddy has one and it is really spot on. Advice please

Are you just talking firebox size? Does it have to be steel? I can not think of many steel stoves with the ability for rear exit. The Woodstock Steel stove offers that, but it is not out yet and the release date is unknown. Does it have to be in the same price range as the 30 (economically priced)?

For rear venting, you are mostly limited to cast iron and soapstone stoves. unless I am missing a steel stove that rear vents.

Rear venting stoves that are about the same size as the 30:
VC Defiant (pass on that unless you find one in perfect shape for about $400)
Quadrafire Isle Royal
Jotul F600
Hearthstone Mansfield or Equinox (Hearthstone is quite liberal with their firebox measurements, so the Mansfield is a bit smaller than what it is listed at)

There are others, but that is all that is coming to mind at 5 AM and no sleep.

What size Fisher do you have? I know a few of them are very large. If you are used to the heat from a huge Pre-EPA stove, you need to be sure you get the right size stove or you will be disappointed.

Reactions: Jags
The Mansfield is top vent only. :(

the jotul 500 can be rear vent as well.

The Hearthstone Manchester is also top/rear vent but all of the stoves listed are going to cost quite a bit more than the 30. I don't know what your budget is but you might be hard pressed finding a rear vent stove in the same price bracket as the 30.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck but am not opposed to spending a bit more for a better product I plan to live here from now on and burn wood until they burn me. A bit more description is in order. I currently have a fisher fireplace insert. The big fish eats a lot of wood and seems to be intolerant of wet or unseasoned wood. Chimney is in on end of the house and the bedrooms are in the other end with a long hallway. Yes I have always struggled to circulate the heat. Looking at heating about 1800 sq ft. My current situation is going to be install in front of or slightly into the fireplace opening. My current hearth is only about 17" perfect for the insert. But I just can't help but to believe that a freestanding stove will heat better than an insert. Although an insert would be much easier to fit without major modification. Ultimately the idea is to build the hearth out enough for an install with the stove just in front of the fireplace and close it up wit steel plate or otherwise. The englander seems to be a nice enough unit I have drooled over the newer non cat stoves for years now and finally am in a position to make a move. Basically champagne taste (hearthstone) on a beer (englander) budget. So to the big question if I just go with the englander (it's on sale at HD $50 off)will it be effective enough if installed partially inside the current fireplace opening. BTW yes I'm planning on lining my chimney as it's 40 yr old clay still in good shape just too big and cold.

The big fish eats a lot of wood and seems to be intolerant of wet or unseasoned wood.
That's not going to change with the 30 or any other modern stove.

Which size Fisher do you own? Even the 30, which is large, is smaller than some of the Fisher stoves.

Basically champagne taste (hearthstone) on a beer (englander) budget.
You would need to go with at least the Mansfield to compare to the Englander. As it was mentioned previously, the Mansfield is not a rear vent stove.

So to the big question if I just go with the englander (it's on sale at HD $50 off)will it be effective enough if installed partially inside the current fireplace opening. BTW yes I'm planning on lining my chimney as it's 40 yr old clay still in good shape just too big and cold.

Is it available in the store there or did you find it online for $50 off? My local store doesn't even carry them, or they are out and won't be getting anymore in.

Is it available in the store there or did you find it online for $50 off? My local store doesn't even carry them, or they are out and won't be getting anymore in.
Buy it online with free shipping.

Fisher fireplace insert. Englander at Home Depot Was in stock less than 50 miles Blue ridge or Ellijay both had one. Today in lieu of buying a new stove I decided to add pipe. I already had pipe connected to the stove stufft fiberglass around where the first pipe went into the existing flue and that was it. I added pipe all the way to the top total of 20 ft. Stufft fiberglass in around the top instead of bottom because I found that at the bottom it was melting and coming out. Hard glass chunks found instead of fluffy glass. It's 35f outside mad I already think that it's much better now just because I have stopped the leaks of air from inside going up the chimney around the pipe. Draft is noticeably improved and I'm running no fans in hallway or ceiling fan and farthest bedrooms are 68f. I hope this isn't just a fluke. But I really think it may be that I'm not sucking all the heat out of the house via a poor install. If this is the case when I upgrade I may not need as large of a stove as I originally thought. But I kinda feel dumb because I've been studying stoves and chimneys etc on this site for years and if this was the major problem all this time. Well I'll be tickled pink as will the bride. We will see and I'll keep you posted.

Ok after the insulation job. The big Fish is covering the demand and it's cold out 19f now and dropping near single digits. I am still on a mission to replace my dragon with something better. I love the hearthstone stoves but am worried about the max top temp of 650 or so. Just doesn't seem hot enough compared to steel stoves. Not really concerned with even heat because my home is a convection nightmare. I'm currently installing new windows and a few other things to contain the heat that I have. I love some of the really pretty stoves Hearthstone Mansfield and PE Alderlea T6 are among my favorites but I cannot get over the fact that the Englander is just as qualified foe waaaay less $$. Not as pretty but dang$$$$$. So I'm still weighing my options. Suggestions. I'm heating 24-7 with an insert that's hungry

600 is the redline for a hearthstone but don't worry it'll put out the heat.

Bottom line is your paying for looks. If you're happy with the looks of the Englander get it and save the cash. Its a well made stove that's a real workhorse.

If this is the big Fisher stove, it is larger than the 30. If it is larger than the 30, there is a very good chance the big fisher throws more heat than the 30.

Big fish is an insert and I'm not so sure it throws more heat than the 30. My buddy has a 30 we stand by it and drink a bit too often and I have a pretty good handle on what it's capable of. I feel like I need some intense heat. Just can't see a 500 deg stove doing what a 700 deg stove will do. Alderlea t6 is the most likely at this point I am gonna try to look at one this weekend.

Btw measured the big Fish today 6.5 cu ft firebox.

Btw measured the big Fish today 6.5 cu ft firebox.
That's a huge stove. Even if most of it is going up the chimney, that is still a lot of stove.

I think the stone stove in the same size configuration as the 30 will do equally as well and IMO is the nicest looking stove available but the price tag was too steep for me. I looked long and hard at the hearthstone equivalent when researching stoves and just couldn't pull the trigger.

I have since fell deeply in love with the 30 and it is heating my 1600sq' just fine in all but the most brutal conditions and I only run the furnace for piece of mind - not personal heat. I don't want to deal with frozen pipes!

At first look for me the 30 was just a big steel box and quite frankly looked ugly going from a VC cast stove but after install it really looks nice(again JMO) and the real eye catcher is the massive amount of glass that stays super clean do to exceptional air wash. Except for a few simple tweaks this is a really awesome stove at any price. By simple I mean tossing the ash plug before I ever fired it up and replacing it with a brick. It just seemed like something that would get in the way of my shovel.

Reactions: PapaDave
I fail to see why with so many threads on here asking for rear vent stoves why the Elm is not mentioned. It can be rear or top and has 3 leg height options and can be had in same FB size as his Fisher. It has long burn times, puts out enormous amounts of heat and you'll never read about something getting damaged do to an over fire.

I fail to see why with so many threads on here asking for rear vent stoves why the Elm is not mentioned.

The most obvious answer is becuase it is not a certified stove and not legal for installation in many (most?) places.

Status
Not open for further replies.