englander 30 and 3100sf house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess so

To the OP: You won't need 2 NC30. Your pellet consumption was about 700,000 BTU per day not adjusted for efficiency of the pellet stove. At 80 % efficiency that would be less than 600,000 BTU actual heat in your home. You will get about 100,000 BTU per cu ft of average hardwood from the NC30. So 6 cu ft burned in the stove will replace the pellet stove. That's just about 2.5 loadings during the day. If you can load the stove about every 6 to 8 hours as most of us do the NC30 will easily replace the pellet stove and probably also cut in your oil consumption. What will be different is that during the first 3 hours of the burn cycle the stove will throw a lot of heat and then slowly be tapering out while the pellet stove gave you more continuous heat.

To the OP: You won't need 2 NC30. Your pellet consumption was about 700,000 BTU per day not adjusted for efficiency of the pellet stove. At 80 % efficiency that would be less than 600,000 BTU actual heat in your home. You will get about 100,000 BTU per cu ft of average hardwood from the NC30. So 6 cu ft burned in the stove will replace the pellet stove. That's just about 2.5 loadings during the day. If you can load the stove about every 6 to 8 hours as most of us do the NC30 will easily replace the pellet stove and probably also cut in your oil consumption. What will be different is that during the first 3 hours of the burn cycle the stove will throw a lot of heat and then slowly be tapering out while the pellet stove gave you more continuous heat.

that's exactly what i was originally asking but i did it in total annual btu's. if i used 150 million btu's gross last year, and i burned 6 cords next year at 25 mm per cord, i could theoretically use no oil. i think if i had purchased the usstove rated at 3000 sq ft but with a smaller firebox than the england i probably would have received a lot of agreement.

that's exactly what i was originally asking but i did it in total annual btu's. if i used 150 million btu's gross last year, and i burned 6 cords next year at 25 mm per cord, i could theoretically use no oil.

Yes, theoretically. But it will also depend on how many BTUs you will need on the coldest days. Possible that the NC30 will struggle then and you will need to supplement with some oil. Make sure the wood is well-seasoned with a moisture content of less than 20 % or your efficiency will be lower.
i think if i had purchased the usstove rated at 3000 sq ft but with a smaller firebox than the england i probably would have received a lot of agreement.

I doubt it as most people here know that sqft ratings of stove companies are not reliable. You would have gotten a lot of comments that the US Stove has a too small firebox. In fact, quite a few commenters here suggested two stoves knowing that even a 3 cu ft stove will have a hard time heating 3100 sqft in upper NY by itself. However, 150 mBTU is not that bad; I think your home is better insulated than you think.

I would not attempt to heat my drafty 3000 SF house with My -NC-30 ,but then again i keep it 75 Deg. My NC-30 is doing lighter duty in a work shop. Big drafty house needs a big stove.

now i'm getting crap for keeping my house too cold. is there a pool temp everyone can approve?

I don't care what temp you have your house at i just think 59 is cold as hell but hey if you want to pay that much go right ahead. And many of us have told you multiple times that if your pellet stove did it the 30 should to by burning it normally. Yeah on really cold days your oil will probably kick on in order to kep the temps up but still that isnt bad. And if you like it at 59 hell that just makes it easier in the winter

pellet stove plus around 200 gallons of oil. the pellet stove kept the house at around 69 degrees up to about 20 degrees. overnight it would get to around 60. dont know exactly what the pellet stove was rated but it is an england 2200 sq ft model. i replaced one of the auger motors and it did turn slightly faster but like i said, almost exactly 2 bags per day which equals around 28k btu/hr. i wasnt really unhappy with the setup but the last time the power went out i swore i wasnt goint to be dependent on power exclusively any more. the other response questions the continuous btu of the pellet stove but if you're home running the stove at full throttle all day wont you get close to their stated max output? i guess i'm just stubborn. 6 cords of good wood is 150mm btu and that's about what i used last endless winter with at least 10 days less than minus 25. i think the reason i didnt get the drolet big stove is the firebox. on their website they say 3.4 ft, on the retailers website it says 3.9 ft. who do you believe? if my plan doesnt work i'll put the pellet stove in next to the wood stove and run them both.

I like the cut of your jib

Take this for what it's worth as one man's opinion - I can't say the NC30 will heat your home sufficiently, but it is a beast of a stove and if it is not sufficient then I doubt you will find one that is without resorting to some sort of furnace.

Also, if you are heating/feeding the stove all day you will likely go through more than 6 cord of wood per year.

Reactions: Highbeam
Where are you going to install the stove? Strategic placement could help a lot if your trying to heat such a large square footage. You may want to look at stoves with a larger firebox as in your case you will be glad you did in upstate newyork. The advice usually on this board is to go a little big as you can always load less wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.