Englander 30 Ash Pan Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I've been poking around inside the 30's firebox and I am wondering about the sealing capabilities of the ash pan and the ash pan plug. There are no gaskets on the ash pan, which is a first for me out of the fours stoves that have had ash pans under the firebox, as they have all had gaskets to aid in the closing and sealing of the ash pan. The other thing is that the ash pan plug does not have a tight fit and relies on weight and gravity only to close off access between the firebox and the ash pan.

My question is; does this cause any problems with air leaks?

i dunno. I find that tiny ash box to be a waste of time on the 30. I took out the plug, filled the pan with ash, and replaced the plug with brick. There's a thread around here somewhere on that. I used a spare brick from my older stove and it fit fine, but I heard some complaining that the replacement bricks people had were too large to fit without cutting. I dunno. Mine works and that's what's important ;)

i dunno. I find that tiny ash box to be a waste of time on the 30. I took out the plug, filled the pan with ash, and replaced the plug with brick. There's a thread around here somewhere on that. I used a spare brick from my older stove and it fit fine, but I heard some complaining that the replacement bricks people had were too large to fit without cutting. I dunno. Mine works and that's what's important ;)

I don't plan on using the ash pan either and I will also fill it with ash, much like I did with the Heritage. I was wondering if the plug is easily moved and are air leaks an issue with this area. It just seems so "open" when compared to other stoves that I have used.

if you aren't going to use the plug, then I vote ditching it. Doesn't yours have that stupid loop on the top for pulling it out? that thing annoyed the heck out of me, much easier to shovel ash out with it gone.

As for the seal, a burn or two puts so much ash in all the cracks around the bricks and plug that I wouldn't be worried about it. I never noticed a problem before I took mine out.

The seal on ash pan doors is for stoves with a grate. 30-NC = no grate. The plug is supposed to do the sealing. That said I removed mine and replaced it with a firebrick because that thing on top of the plug makes it a pain to scoop out ashes.

No reason to fill the pan with ashes. They get the bread really dirty when you use the ash pan for a bun warmer.

lol, BB. I wonder how hot it gets in there. you got me wondering what I can cook. We've had threads on stovetop or even throwing potatoes into the stove, but never an "I made it in my ash pan" thread.

Good to know. And I can just remove the plug and the small fire brick up front and replace it with a standard size fire brick?

that's what I did. small piece plus plug was the same as one brick, IIRC.

Good. One brick it is.

Sounds similar to the way the BK ash plug is. I tried to use it at the end of the season to clean out the ash and it was a PITA so that won't be happening again. I figured before I start burning this season I'll cut the grab loop off and just add some furnace cement to the plate to "glue" it in place.

I've been poking around inside the 30's firebox and I am wondering about the sealing capabilities of the ash pan and the ash pan plug. There are no gaskets on the ash pan, which is a first for me out of the fours stoves that have had ash pans under the firebox, as they have all had gaskets to aid in the closing and sealing of the ash pan. The other thing is that the ash pan plug does not have a tight fit and relies on weight and gravity only to close off access between the firebox and the ash pan.

My question is; does this cause any problems with air leaks?

I can't tell if there are any air leaks from the ash pan plug on my 30NCH. Not sure it matters with the dog house air coming-in at the bottom, so you are getting unrestricted air anyway. FWIW, a little air leak under the wood ain't a bad thing. My Woodstock Keystone has a small hole in the ash pan housing to let a bit of air in - under the wood and it helps keep things burning. I've tried it blocked and unblocked and prefer a little dribble of air coming into the firebox.

FWIW, I like the ash pan and plug on my 30NCH. The ash pan holds a goodly amount of ashes and I can dump them without any mess. It may be the smooth surface of the steel plate stove vs. the cast iron surface - which is not smooth, but ashes show much more on the Englander than the Woodstock and using the ash pan helps reduce this.

Good luck with your stove - have you done a break-in fire? Legs or pedistal? Pics?

Bill

Good luck with your stove - have you done a break-in fire? Legs or pedistal? Pics?

Bill

Break-in fire will be done when it is a little cooler out. The room it is in has plenty of windows to air the place out if needed. I'll do it while the wife is at work. Stove will be hooked up within the next two weeks. It will have legs, as god intended.

Pics will come as I know Bart wants to see what it looks like inside the fireplace.

I am still repainting the area where the Defiant will be moved to. The 30 has a great view looking out towards the courtyard until the Defiant is relocated.

I am also waiting on the 6" stove collar for the Defiant, which will arrive at some point before October... I hope.

...It will have legs, as god intended.
hellz yeah. I actually have mine on short legs and rammed into the fireplace. Now the little Englander 12 has the longer legs. Both look spectacular.

hellz yeah. I actually have mine on short legs and rammed into the fireplace. Now the little Englander 12 has the longer legs. Both look spectacular.

What is the height of the 30 with short legs? Not from the collar, but from the top of the stove.

are you serious? I dunno. I did post it though, so if we both go search hard enough it's around here somewhere.

Thanks. I still have a vision of cramming a 3.5 cu ft stove inside the kitchen fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.