Englander 30 Door issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
Hey everybody,
Looking for some advice. I have three year old stove that didn't pass the dollar bill test and was overheating. I ordered the Englander gasket, replaced it on tuesday and it still is running away. With the air shut all the way off, the stove is well past 850. I just did the doallr bill test and the top of the door is still not tight. What should I do? Its a brand new gasket with less than 15 hours burn time.

Help!

Thanks

Frank

maybe the door warped?? Hinges, door latch, gasket or door itself, the problem is in there somewhere.

Place a straight edge flat against the front of the stove on all four sides where the door seals against the stove body and see if it is flat on all four surfaces.

Can the gasket rope be pulled/compressed to change its overall thickness? Maybe it got stretched on the top of the door, so it's thinner than the rest?

Try swapping the hinge pins around. They tend to ware or the hinge part on stove wares. I made new ones for my unit. When you put the new gasket in did you close and latch door for the 24 hours of cure time? That does have an effect also.

I had the same issue on my Osburn. It could have been the hinges warped or something but irregardless I ruined 1 gasket trying to get it right. My solution was to roll up some clay and lay it in the channel so its level all around. Close the door to mark the clay and you should be able to see where it's not hitting evenly. Make note of where it needs to be thicker or thinner and then remove the clay. I then just bunched up or pulled the gasket accordingly and it worked great.

It doesn't take much gasket adjustmentt to make a big difference.

When I install a gasket I make sure it's scrunched up a bit or puffy. This uses more gasket, but will be a ticker gasket that is more apt to seal. I learned this the hard way after I laid the gasket too thin the first time I replaced one.

I did the flat edge test for the stove and all appears to be good to go. I guess I did not lay the gasket material evenly. Is there any soultion besides paying friggin 30 dollars from Englander for a new gasket? I can't seem to find the proper density gasket locally. Also, I tried to use aluminum tape with some gasket shreds to bolster the gapped area(attached to actual stove) for a short term fix. It worked, but filled the house with a horrible smell. Is this a temporary smell issue? Is there a better tape that I could use, or does anyone have a stop gap solution so I can use the stove while I wait for ESW to place order, charge $12 shipping and handling, and then send it out? It is only a 4 inch portion at the top of the door that is not sealing.

Thanks

I think I'd try the local hardware store (not HD or Lowes), or a hearth shop for their closest size gasket. If you measure it out and need 6 feet, I'd pick up 8 just to make sure you had enough. You may be able to cut the top gasket off and add in a new piece, but I think I'd just put a new gasket in. Too many edges is asking for an air leak.

The 30 uses high density gasket. The hardware store low density won't work. You will be able to spin the door handle like a propeller.

I would get a 4" piece of the thin door glass gasket and put it on the front of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.