Englander 30 efficiency rating ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
Hello folks , I'm looking into getting a 30nc & I believe that the tax credit is for stoves that are at least 75% efficient & require a statement from the manufacturer to qualify . I can't seem to find any info on the 30 so any help woule be great .

Thanks ,
Bob

I am wondering the exact same thing too. I suspect that the 30 does not qualify though. ???????:confused:

That's what I'm guessing as well ..................... The Woodstock stove website has quite a bit of info on the tax credit & they list that all of their wood stoves meet or exceed the 75% mark & thus qualify for the tax credit ..............

It's hard NOT to qualify for that tax credit given the very low performance requirement and method for measuring it. The NC30 is a very low emissions stove, way lower emissions than my fancy catalytic blaze king. Emissions aren't directly related to efficiency but it is an indicator of quality, and all but the lowest quality stoves qualify for the tax credit.

So Highbeam , are you saying that the NC30 does qualify for the tax credit ? Reading the Woodstock site it says that a wood stove must have an EPA efficiency rating of 75 % or more to qualify . The EPA lists the NC 30 at 63% .

Thanks Highbeam & BrotherBart !!

So Highbeam , are you saying that the NC30 does qualify for the tax credit ? Reading the Woodstock site it says that a wood stove must have an EPA efficiency rating of 75 % or more to qualify . The EPA lists the NC 30 at 63% .

the formula used to set criteria for the tax credit is a different formula than the EPA cert formula is. the #)-NC does qualify for this credit as do several of our stoves

Reactions: PapaDave
So, I looked at the posted sites. How can a stove that is 63% efficient be qualified for a tax credit that requires 75 % efficiency???

The NC30 is a very low emissions stove, way lower emissions than my fancy catalytic blaze king.

1.63 vs 1.76.... Not way lower.

Well, a quick calculation later, I guess that is almost 8 % cleaner. Is this EPA tested?

So, I looked at the posted sites. How can a stove that is 63% efficient be qualified for a tax credit that requires 75 % efficiency???

the listing is "default" the stoves are tested for efficiency whether its listed as "true" or default. difference is that to "carry" the true efficiency, advertise it and such the manufacturer has to pay out the wazoo for the true listing as well as retest at a far more frequent interval (at a floor figure of 10K just to put a stove on the test stand at the testing facility which underwrites it) this expense causes virtually all manufacturers to "claim default" notice the vast majority of non-cat stoves on the EPA list are at 63% and the cat ones are at 72% this is why.

but for purposes of the government tax credit the units do actually qualify even though at epa.gov they are listed by default

Sorry...I was thinking the King model.

Status
Not open for further replies.