Englander 30 Firebox Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I've got my Englander 30 in storage waiting my addition to be completed before the install and really haven't had much chance to give it a look over, but tonight I was at the storage place - dropping off some other junk and peaked inside the firebox. That sucker is really big! It's like twice the depth of my Keystone and looks very easy to load N-S with 16 inch logs. Somehow I think if I load that box from bottom to top - things are really going to get hot!

Just courious, what is the largest diameter log you load-up in your Englander 30? I think you could fit a couple of really large diameter logs in there for a long burn.

On another note, I'm giving thought to getting side shields and a blower to give me more convection in addition to radiant heat. From what I recall looking at the manual or maybe ESW website, the side shields only cover half of the stove sides, so that should make a good mix of convection and radiant heat. I'm wondering if the side shields make the stove a give off a more soft/even heat - not unlike a soapstone stove and in doing so making it tolerable to set near the stove sides like I can with my Keystone. Much for me to learn about this stove come fall.

Still haven't figured if I am going with pedistal or leg on the install.

Bill

The size of the log will depend on the coal bed. If I have a good deep / hot coal bed with large chunks I will sometimes put in a big and nasty that I can't split which just barely gets into the door. The the coal bed is small, something like that won't burn because there isn't much more room for sizable other splits to help support that big log.

As an average, I prefer to use pieces that I can grab w/ my hand on one end give or take.

As for the side heat shields I wouldn't put them on unless you need the clearance personally. But, you can always add them at any time if you run the stove w/out them for a while and are unhappy.

I'd give the same advice for the blower as well try it w/out first then if you think you need something different then go for it. Mine heats my house just fine w/out the blower. I don't think adding one would do anything but increase my electric bill. If it were being installed in a fireplace or alcove then I'd have a blower on there for sure.

pen

pen said:
The size of the log will depend on the coal bed. If I have a good deep / hot coal bed with large chunks I will sometimes put in a big and nasty that I can't split which just barely gets into the door. The the coal bed is small, something like that won't burn because there isn't much more room for sizable other splits to help support that big log.

As an average, I prefer to use pieces that I can grab w/ my hand on one end give or take.

As for the side heat shields I wouldn't put them on unless you need the clearance personally. But, you can always add them at any time if you run the stove w/out them for a while and are unhappy.

I'd give the same advice for the blower as well try it w/out first then if you think you need something different then go for it. Mine heats my house just fine w/out the blower. I don't think adding one would do anything but increase my electric bill. If it were being installed in a fireplace or alcove then I'd have a blower on there for sure.

pen

+1 on most of this excluding the blower.

If I remember correctly BB did some calculations and I believe that the blower would cost somewhere around $10 to run per month using average U.S. kilw. Maybe it was a dream? lol

Certainly a must in a fireplace or alcove. But Your mileage will vary depending on variables such as your home size, insulation, windows, wood dryness/type, location, ect.

The blower is really nice for those "she getting real hot" moments and close to zero temp day/nights.

But then again your in the tropics. (joke between myself and Brother Bart)

When I was cutting and splitting wood specifically for the 30, I made my lengths 18" to 20" and my average widths are 7"x8" and about 8"x8".

You can fit 21" splits in N/S but your glass will be a bit hazy.

The largest single piece (White Ash) I put in, just made it through the door. It burned a long time but I'd stick to 8x8's or around that size IMHO for good clean burning.

If you have the time and space make your splits big. :cheese:

For both my stoves, the wood Ive been processing now, my new size is 16"to 18" in length and 10"x10" or up to 14"x14" width. My new rule is it must season for 3 years min. before its usable.

Its a great stove your gonna love it.

Cheers, Hiram

Hiram Maxim said:
If you have the time and space make your splits big. :cheese:

For both my stoves, the wood Ive been processing now, my new size is 16"to 18" in length and 10"x10" or up to 14"x14" width. My new rule is it must season for 3 years min. before its usable.

Some BIG Splits... Glad to hear it can handle them big. Been splittin them around 7-8" and thought I should go smaller. Gonna go Bigger and let them sit Longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.