Englander 30 Hard to Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all,

so i have a really hard time lighting the stove from a cold start, everytime I light it i get the alarms going and the room fills up with smoke badly. Also, when I have a nice fire going, if i open the door for reloads i get a face full of smoke. What gives? frustrating.

Tell us about the chimney and wood being burned.

You got a serious draft issue. Not a stove issue.

wkpoor said:
I figured as much, I never had the problem when I had a Dutchwest Consolidated or a smaller US Stove Company stove. How do I improve draft. Thanks for the reply

wkpoor said:

I have a killer draft and still get smoked if the end of the log is right up front near the glass.

It would be nice if the 30 had a bypass that allowed the smoke to go directly to the exit w/out having to come across the baffle to the front of the stove.

Here is a pic of the internal setup.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 277
cmonSTART said:
Is the screen on your chimney cap clogged? Common problem this time of year..
I just had a sweep a few weeks ago. I will climb up saturday and double check. thanks.

that glass is showing that the stove is being burned too cool.

pen

I've had 4 different stoves hooked to my chimney, 2 of them EPA. I never get any smoke even if I rip open the door right after a reload. It just doesn't happen. In fact I always just swing er right open when ever I please. I never sneak open or first open the primary all the way open and wait or all that happy horse sh*t. Thats killer draft!
If you got smoke, you got a draft issue. Now what that issue is could be a list of things. I'm sure these guys will sort it out for you.

On cold starts right before I light my news papers I light a rolled news paper and hold it where the draft is (not sure what its called). You can hear the draft take off, if I get smoke after lighting my paper for the fire I close the door for a few seconds, not long enough to put out my papers thou, seems like the small amount of heat from the paper has no where to go but up an will cause a draft. Reloads, damper wide open for 2-3 mins then crack the door for a few seconds before opening it all the way. This is just what works for me, I don't know much about your stove. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.