Englander 30 in Masonary fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksnipe

Jan 20, 2008
Bayfield Co. WI.
Upon reading many of these posts, I find that some of the members are installing the Englander 30 free standing units part way into masonary fireplaces. The application here to use a free standing unit instead of an insert has been noted to be quite effective in providing a great deal of heat
compared to an insert. I have though about this idea some, & have wondered about trying to fasten a surround to the fireplace face to close up some of the gaps that would be visible. The question here is, could you utilize the surround panels from the insert unit & fasten them to the stove model. I was lurking around the Englander website at the different individual parts that are available & see the panels are avaiable along with the blower unit. This brings me to another question, since the blower mounts on the rear of the stove how is the air directed up over the top & out the front unless the optinal shields are installed. Am I correct in assuming they must be utilized for use with the blower, & if a surround is attached there may be problems with air flow. Up to this point I have thrown in the towel as far as trying to utilize another new insert installation. I have intalled 2 inserts in the last 20 years & have almost frozen to death a number of times in extreme cold weather, I'm talking to the tune of -10F to - 30F with howling winds

Status
Not open for further replies.