Englander 30 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a pic of my cathedral ceiling with no attic space. I am looking to install the flue near the top stud as you are looking at the picture. My problem is that the stove needs to be 18 inches from the wall from the back of the flue pipe. Therefore, If I do this the pipe will go up against the wood stud in the top of this picture. I am knew to installing a chimney system. I would like to buy my system from lowes cause it is close to me. What item would I need to install it. Also, is tyhe flue pipe to close to the stud. Do I need the flue pipe in between the two studs for clearance? If the pipe is to close can I do an elbow and have it connect heading towards the front of the stove. I think this will look dumb though unless someone has a pic. Lastly, I do not want to move the stove out of the wall more because it will look bad in the room. I also do not think that I can do a regular ceiling support kit because my ceiling studs are angled.

Attachments

• 100_5421_1067x800.JPG
    100_5421_1067x800.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Flu pipe needs to have 2 inches clearance. That's why in the odd install a 1 inch thick 8 inch od pipe can help over the 2 inch wall 10 inch od pipe.

Here is a pic of my cathedral ceiling with no attic space. I am looking to install the flue near the top stud as you are looking at the picture. My problem is that the stove needs to be 18 inches from the wall from the back of the flue pipe.

Why not go with double-wall connector pipe to reduce that pipe to wall clearance substantially?

I would just put in double wall pipe but the manual for the 30-nc does not give clearances for just double wall pipe you must install the side heat shields which I was trying to avoid but might buy. Anyone have a pic of the englander with the heat shields on it?

How would the install work if I used one of those black cathedral boxes that convert the single wall pipe to triple wall.

My studs are 24 inches apart from middle to middle and I think that I can fit this box and single wall pipe, however, I think that once this box converts it to a triple wall I will not have a two inch clearance for the triple wall. Let me know if anyone has one of these boxes. I just want to know what they are before I buy.

Also, my dad does have I point that if I put the shields on the stove what if in the future I get another stove and I can not get that close to the wall. Therefore I can not use the flue. Sorry to ramble I just wish the stud was another 6 inches from the wall and I would be fine. Go figure!!

A cathedral ceiling support box is what I would use if the ceiling is exposed. It's hard to tell from the picture what we are looking at. Is it the attic ceiling or an unfinished room's cathedral ceiling?

If this is the room's ceiling then yes, use a cathedral support box. That can be framed in directly against the wood as long as the single wall pipe coming out of the bottom is kept 18" from any wood including the ceiling.

Cathedral_box.JPG duravent cathedral box roof side.JPG

Last edited:
How would the install work if I used one of those black cathedral boxes that convert the single wall pipe to triple wall.

My studs are 24 inches apart from middle to middle and I think that I can fit this box and single wall pipe, however, I think that once this box converts it to a triple wall I will not have a two inch clearance for the triple wall. Let me know if anyone has one of these boxes. I just want to know what they are before I buy.

Also, my dad does have I point that if I put the shields on the stove what if in the future I get another stove and I can not get that close to the wall. Therefore I can not use the flue. Sorry to ramble I just wish the stud was another 6 inches from the wall and I would be fine. Go figure!!

I just used this box for my englander 30. Class A above and single wall below. These things are great. Only 12" wide since 6" class A is 8" OD and you need 2" clearance all around.

Attachments

• IMAG0817.jpg
    IMAG0817.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 195
The picture is a cathedral ceiling for a room not an attic. There is no attic space. Sorry, was not quite clear on that.

Hey, Highbeam what is the distance from the edge of the 6 inch adapter to the edge of the box. Thanks man this would be a HUGE HELP.

Isn't a lot of the 6" class A 10" od?

Can I have the triple wall be about 5.5 feet out of the roof. I know that the rule is to add a roof guy kit if the pipe sticks more than five feet out. However, I need a min chimney height of 15 feet and to get that it will be about 5.5 feet out of the roof. Is the roof guy kit necessary or is it recommended?

Can I have the triple wall be about 5.5 feet out of the roof. I know that the rule is to add a roof guy kit if the pipe sticks more than five feet out. However, I need a min chimney height of 15 feet and to get that it will be about 5.5 feet out of the roof. Is the roof guy kit necessary or is it recommended?

That chimney isn't cheap. Don't be disappointed down the road when wind surprises you and gives you trouble (especially if it were when the stove is roaring!). Just put the brace on and never look back.

Another suggestion that I had from a friend is to use paper logs/bricks in my woodstove. However, is this a good idea since it is epa will it damage something or is it fine to use?

My friend uses them in his wood furnace but it is not epa and really all furnaces are just a firebox.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I just looked at the Selkirk site and all the USA stuff is 1'' insulation whereas a lot of the canadian stuff is 2" including what most of the stores here carry and what the stove store wanted to sell me hence my confusion.

Hey all since my pre fabbed chimney is only going to be 15 feet tall I am not going to add the flue damper. After all I can shut the fire down by completely closing the intake on the bottom near the ash door right? Also, since my flue is straight vertically up how do you clean this. Can I be able to remove the flue from the stove by undoing the screws? I don't think there will be enough room to move the pipe up will there?

Hey guys I also wanted to ask about the roof flashing? Do you have to nail it down if so what kind of nails? Also an I just use the black jack cement roof coating at lowes?

Hey, Highbeam what is the distance from the edge of the 6 inch adapter to the edge of the box. Thanks man this would be a HUGE HELP.

That "snout" is what you're calling the adapter right? Well the snout is just under 1.5" wide and the inner diameter of the snout is 6" so it would follow that the outside edge of the snout is just over 1.5" from the edge of the box at the narrowest point.

Okay so I just got the cathedral box but how do I install the bracket the directions are lame with no pics anybody help?

Also, how do you snap the seem together on this 6 inch pipe without distorting it like I might have done?

What company and brand of pipe? What brackets?

It is the pipe you buy at lowes it is 6 inch by 24 inches and there is a seam you need to snap to put it together?

And the box is the cathedral box by suervent also at lowes that I do not know how to install the bracket. Also I do have some space before the box can go through the roof. Therefore, the box will not be able to go through the roof is this okay and do I just box it in and put nails through the box I created and the chimney box?

Last edited:
Also, does the chimney pipe have to go four inches into the room out of the box cause that looks dumb. Can you paint the chimney pipe?

What bracket? I have no brackets when using a ceiling support box.

The silver class A doesn't hang into the toom on a ceiling support box install but if you bought a cathdral ceiling roof mount it has a funny bracket that bolts to the roof decking and clamps the pipe. That thing requires the class A to drop into the room a little bit. You can paint it black.

Status
Not open for further replies.