Englander 30 mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Ok, Corie and Mike may want to take off their Englander hats for the duration of this post. I did something interesting to my 30-NC tonight. For those who don't know, the 30 uses two ceramic fiber boards sitting side by side on top of the secondary tubes for a baffle. In my stove at least, these boards can have as much as a quarter inch between them. I figure that's a lot of heat being lost from the firebox which of course lowers the temperature when hampers my secondary combustion. So, I put pushed the baffles as far back and out as I could and put a piece of steel flat stock over the seam in the middle to close it off. Even with temperatures in the 50s outside today (in which my stove usually burns very dirty), I clearly achieved my secondary burn much quicker and with longer duration than I did last year. So far so good. Time will tell.

Happy burning folks!

:EDIT:

FYI, this was not my idea. This is from a friend of mine.

Strictly off the record here, this is something we had toyed with at the factory as well. Although it's an unauthorized modification, it is one that I think helps the stove performance a little bit.

Anyway you can post a picture of this mod?

Similarly, I saw small gaps around the perimeter of my Quad's baffle board, so I cut and laid a 1/4" sheet of Kaowool on top of it and that took care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.