Englander 30-NC - 3/4" too tall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickjames8

Sep 29, 2014
Manassas, VA
Hello all,

My name is Rick and last year we moved in to a great little 2000sqft house built in 1934. The house has it's original stone fireplace which was unfortunately capped with cement by the previous owner who had a wood allergy (?? - yep - that was the first I'd heard of it too).

Well, this fall we intend to re-open the chimney and install a wood stove. We like the look of the standalone stove sitting in the fireplace, rather than an insert. Looking at stoves that are out there, we liked the reviews on the Englander 30-NCH and 13-NCH. However, the height of the front of the fireplace is exactly 29", and the NC-30 (which we'd prefer) is listed as 29.75" tall.

Does anyone know if the top pipe piece and backing are removable during installation? If I could install those once it was moved in, perhaps I could make this work. I know the base is removeable, but I doubt I could find a way to lift it once it was inside the fireplace.

Any ideas or suggestions from someone who's installed one before would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rick

Can the hearth floor be lowered a bit by removing a layer of bricks?

It sounds like 1" leg shortening would work in this specific circumstance.

Just one tip for others who might stumble upon this...the short leg kit will make it work but don't forget about clearance to combustibles like the mantle if it is made of wood.

the highest point is the stove pipe connection and it is permanent. With the tall legs it is roughly 30"(I just put a tape to mine)

They sell short legs or... you would not be the first here to shorten the legs by just cutting part of them off. The biggest challenge will be shoehorning that monster into place. The OG legs have leveling bolts that will obviously be removed with any height mods thereof so you will want/need some small shims to level it up after you get it into place.

Also, note the factory fan sticks out the back so if you plan to use it you have to keep that in mind when calculating the depth of your opening. I modded my fan connection to fit my space and keep my straight shot pipe.

I'm assuming you'll be removing the smattering of combustibles from above the stove before you fire it up, right?

I agree- just bust out the angle grinder and go to town.
Bob- any chance we could get details/pics on your fan mod?

With clearance that tight I would definitely install a block off plate or at least stuff a lot of roxul up in there.

Also, note the factory fan sticks out the back so if you plan to use it you have to keep that in mind when calculating the depth of your opening. I modded my fan connection to fit my space and keep my straight shot pipe.
It's a good idea to find out exactly where the end of the flue pipe is positioned. I modded my fan so that the stove sits 2-1/2 inches from the back wall. Without modding it I would've needed 2- 30 degree bends from the top of the stove and would've lost my hearth clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.