Englander 30-nc basement install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveGunter

Nov 15, 2011
coastal maine
My 30-nc is installed directly on the concrete floor of my basement, with single wall pipe to the masonry chimney, 24" straight up then a 90 then 24" into the chimney. The walls and sill are insulated but not the floor. I would like to raise the whole stove, probably with concrete block, to aid in loading and hopefully avoid a little heat loss to the floor. I don't see a spec in the Englander manual for ceiling clearance, except that the horizontal pipe must be 18" below the ceiling. Is there anything wrong with raising the stove high enough to come out of the stove with a 90 and then straight over to the chimney, would probably be 20-22 inches? Is that enough clearance from the stove to the basement ceiling, which is unfinished, just floor joists and then the first floor subflooring. Will a 90 directly out of the top of the stove adversely affect how the stove burns?

Somebody else will have exact specs, but in the manual there are alcove installation instructions that I'm pretty sure have ceiling clearance numbers. 22" doesn't leave much room to put an elbow in the pipe and maintain pipe to ceiling clearance.

Wait, is the 22" the horizontal run, or the distance from stove top to ceiling after it is raised?

Best to call ESW tech support for a clearance number. Normally it is sixty inches and can be reduced 50% by a proper shield on the ceiling with air space between the shield and joists and non-combustible attachment hardware.

Best to use two 45 degree elbows.

need to know what the actual "from stovetop to ceiling" measurement would be for you, will have to check on allowed clearance above the unit but i can guarantee its going to be more than 36 inches possibly much more. i suspect BB is close at 60" if i read him right

From the floor to the bottom of the exposed floor joists is 90 inches. The top of the stove is 28 inches, so the current install has 62 inches of clearance. Sound like I should just leave it the way it is.

I like the suggestion of two 45s instead of one 90. Can the first piece of pipe attached to the stove be a 45 or does it need to be straight up?

From the floor to the bottom of the exposed floor joists is 90 inches. The top of the stove is 28 inches, so the current install has 62 inches of clearance. Sound like I should just leave it the way it is.

I like the suggestion of two 45s instead of one 90. Can the first piece of pipe attached to the stove be a 45 or does it need to be straight up?

you could come off the unit with a 45 (may need an appliance adapter in some cases) with no issue. im not a fan of a 90 right off the stove , but a 45 still allows for upward movement and less resistance . IMHO it would be fine

you could come off the unit with a 45 (may need an appliance adapter in some cases) with no issue. im not a fan of a 90 right off the stove , but a 45 still allows for upward movement and less resistance . IMHO it would be fine

Thanks Mike! Nice to hear "straight from the horses mouth." Great stove by the way, 5 cords a winter instead of 1200G of oil and my house is warm all the time.

Reading this thread makes me excited to start burning my 30! I still need to finish my hearth and get it on it before the cold weather hits! Excited to see how it performs!

Raising it off of the floor in an effort to minimize heat loss to the floor was mostly a waste of time anyway. Not a lot of heat goes down on these stoves and most of us find that our hearths stay cool.

+1, not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.